I NEED A Alumimum Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: I NEED A Alumimum Radiator

I HAVE A 63 DAYTONA WAGONAIR AND IM TRYING TO FIND A Alumimum Radiator FOR IT
    Attached Files

Just asking, why does it have to be aluminum?

FWIW, yes, an aluminum radiator is lighter and less weight on the front of a Stude is always good.

No, from the experts with which I have spoken an aluminum radiator doesn't cool any better than does copper/brass. Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum. (Gold would actually make the best radiator, then silver. Copper is what we can afford.)

http://www.caparadiator.com/aluminumvscopper.html

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/14_...utomobiles.htm

Maybe, discuss your goals and your thoughts on why you NEED an aluminum.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks, Jack. My first thought at the heading was, why does he "NEED a (sic) Aluminum radiator".
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'll say in all fairness; an aluminum radiator that is about 98% plug 'n' play into a Lark type can be had for less than $200 vs. having the original unit rebuilt for $500+.

As per many others on this Forum; I went ahead and ordered up a 1972-86 Jeep CJ to SB Chevy V8 conversion radiator; drilled two holes into the front support and everything clears well. The petcock is covered up but that's no biggie since I can undo the lower hose if needed. Tranny cooler lines; that's a toughie since the Jeep AT line ports are also facing down from the bottom tank. I simply have my two lines connected together.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I really don't have a dog in this fight. I only asked in the interest of understanding the need. Your car, your decision, your money. However, a radiator on which the transmission cooler lines cannot be used is not my definition of "plug and play." Your results obviously vary.

BTW, US Radiator will make a brand new copper radiator which does everything correctly for a lot less than $500.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Last May I ordered an aluminum CJ-7 style radiator thru Brice Thomas Radiator, out of Kentucky ( Radman 2776 on Ebay. Contacted them via e-mail, they e-mailed me specs on the radiator, and then modified it to my specs ( moved the petcock, changed the size of one of the hose outlets all for a $25 upcharge). If I remember it was at my door within a week, undamaged it fit perfect, just had to drill the holes in the side flanges ( which they also adjusted to the length & height that I spec'd) I would at least contact them, they may be able to add the trans cooler too. I also added a flexilite electric fan in front of the rad that I manually control as needed, running a 350 SBC w/A/C.....it's working well.

Comment

im running a small block chevy and the stock radiator just not cooling it off i also run a electrica water pump for the last 2 years ran great 180 not it gets up to 230

Comment

Just a side note, Silver is a better thermal conductor than Gold (429 vs. 318 W/mK), and Copper (401 W/mK) is also better than Gold.
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                X