Clutch Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch Linkage

I've been working on a 58 Scotman. I'm installing a 63 259 with T10 4 speed. Have been told the existing clutch linkage won't work. What's different and what do I need to accomplish installation? Does anyone have these parts. Also trying to find a 10" clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing.
    Kim

The way this kind of modification is done is you get the '55 to '58 Chassis Parts Catalog and the '59 to '64 and compare the excellent pictures and the related part numbers to find any common parts and those you need to get to convert it.

Most ALL of the clutch linkage is different from 6 to V-8, and from 3 speed to 4 speed.

The Catalogs are available at Studebaker Vendors at: studebakervendors.com on CD Rom Disc or book form.
    The clutch parts you need are also there. Also advertised in Turning Wheels.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The clutch cross-shaft pivot that mounts to the transmission will be located differently on each transmission. Not too difficult to make an appropriate piece. You will also need to change the length of the adjustment arm. Most good hardware stores have threaded rod ends, and fine threaded rod.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I should given more details, but as usual, I didn't. The 58 Sctsman came to it's owner with the 63 259 installed and clutch was working. just not running. So, I took the throw out shft off the bellhousing and didn't see any alignment issues. to my simple way of looking at things, with the throw out shaft going to the bellhousing and using as before the 58 linkage, what issues should I anticipate? What is a diaphgram clutch? I talked to a vendor in Kentucky that has the 3 finger pressure plate and the diaphram setup. He also said he probably ahd what I needed in stock,$130.00 with throw out bearing, pilot bushing, and alignment tool. Ky Clutch. they advertise on thier vintage clutches and high performance.
        Thanks in advance,
        Kim
        StudeRich, glad you're back

Comment

Studebaker used only the Borg and Beck style coil spring loaded pressure plates and they worked fine. The 12 spring units were good enough for 409 Chevies, 406 Fords and 426 Hemi Dodges, same as Avanti.

A Diaphragm type has a lot of spring steel "fingers" that look like wedge shaped strips radially from outer edge to the center; these were used on some models of other makes like GM, not necessarily needed or wanted on a Stude.
          For one reason the pressure plate outer housing hits the Bell Housing on most, and grinding may be required.

I always try to avoid New Pressure Plates, and go to a good Clutch Rebuilder and get the job done right, using correct original cores from the Car being repaired. Your typical Parts Store "Zoom" brand (China) clutch is not worth the recycled Studebaker metal it is made out of.

Thanks Kim, glad to be back, and going to the International Meet.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Ky source for the clutches is a rebuilder, so I hope I'll be getting a rebuilt unit. The clutch that was in the car was a 9 inch too small, I think, for 4 speed. What bolt pattern is the flywheel(pressure plate mounting holes), is it the same as GM?
            Thanks in advance,
            Kim

Comment

Bump to the front, as I'd like to know the flywheel pattern for the pressure palte.
              Kim
              You'r welcome S R

Comment

Kim I really don't know how to tell you that, Stude. 259/289/Avanti V-8's are Standard V-8 pattern like Chev. Ford.
                I always just get the correct one from the Car rebuilt.

I measured the Pressure Plate holes and the center to center is 5 13/16" on all of them. the outside (Max.) size of the pressure plate COVER is 12 inches. The 289 uses a 10 1/4" Disc. and Plate and most 259's are 10 inch on the same standard Car Flywheel.

You will need a 259/289 Flywheel. Also I think you have a 232, if the Pressure Plate & Disc. is 9 inch so you do not have rebuildable cores unless the rebuilder will trade small for large.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X