Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Filter question

1955 Champion.

I am getting ready to install my Offy intake dual carb set up. I have to relocate the oil filter. As I understand the 186 has a full pressure system. I looked in my shop manual and it says nothing about the oil filter, I can only presume that from the factory these did not come with a filter.

As I looked further there is one line in the side of the block and the other is located at the bottom of the oil filler tube. Doesn't look very efficient. The oil must enter from the block and then drain back into the pan.

How much if any oil is actually being filtered and if the line was tapped into the block is another component being compromised from lack of oil? Is it really worth the time and effort, if indeed this is aftermarket, to relocate the filter or would I be safe in just removing it completely if it was not factory equipped with a filter?

Please enlighten me.
    Thanks in advance
    Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Yes they are worthwhile. Most Studes. had the optional filter installed at the factory or at the Dealer, but unless you paid you got none. Most Champions used the very common Fram F3 Filter that takes a C3 Element.

We had many discussions here about the percentage of Oil Filtered, and how long it takes to filter the whole 6 Qts. of Oil.

Also the topic has been beaten to death here about the "Restrictor" fitting that is in the Inlet of all partial flow filters with a .040 to.050 hole to prevent Bearing starvation so that has never been a problen in Millions of miles put on Millions of 1904 to late 50's makes of Cars and trucks and up to 1962 on Studebakers.

Oh! the drainback line goes into the side of the Oil Filler Pipe and comes off of the CENTER hole in the bottom of the Filter Case.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,
      Thanks for the insight. I will retain the filter. Battery is going to the trunk so I think the filter will fit nicely where the battery was.

Steve
      Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

I second what StudeRich said and just wanted to add that the partial-flow oil filters are suprisingly effective at cleaning oil. I remember several years ago reading that at 3000RPM the partial-flow filter would filter all the oil in the engine in just under one minute.

Joe
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

Working...
        X