Wrong fan, right fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Wrong fan, right fan

When I bought my '64 R-1 Avanti a couple years ago the engine really howled at higher rpm (something like a 747 at full takeoff power). I saw that some PO had replaced the original fan with a seven-bladed one and the viscous clutch with one of the aftermarket ones being sold now. When I did my valve guide seal job recently I took the opportunity to replace the fan and clutch with an original. Last Saturday I made my first trip in it, about 120 miles on an Orphan Car tour. The car was much quieter, ran at the same temperature as before (180) even with the A/C running. Anybody want a seven bladed fan?
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Your 7 bladed fan has a viscous clutch. Your other is a stock Stude {thermal fan clutch}. Much much better. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That one looks like an AMC fan setup. All fans & clutches, including all 7 blades, are not created equal. I Installed a Corvette, 7 blade fan with thermal clutch on the GT, and was so impressed I later installed one on the 56J.
      Of course, the 5 blade is working well for you, so if it ain't broke no need to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        That one looks like an AMC fan setup. All fans & clutches, including all 7 blades, are not created equal. I Installed a Corvette, 7 blade fan with thermal clutch on the GT, and was so impressed I later installed one on the 56J.
        Of course, the 5 blade is working well for you, so if it ain't broke no need to fix it
        Your Packard Water pump must have the same size centering "Hub" in the center as a Chevy. if you were able to bolt it on.
        All Studebaker Engines have that larger, odd size centering hub, so the Thermal Clutch would have to be machined to fit.

StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich,
          No machining was required, other than a little grinding and pressing. For the 352, I ground the face of the water pump flange flat, then pressed the flange back toward the water pump to within about 1/16". At that point, the shaft protruded and served as the centering hub for the Hayden clutch.
          For the 289, I ground the face of a spacer down even with the surface of a pulley, then drove a small socket into the center hole, which protruded enough to serve as a centering hub.
          I realize the above explanations may sound confusing, but that's it in a nut shell. I always say, I can install air brakes on a bantee rooster if someone will hold it for me

I will have my son take pix tomorrow to post of the two fans on the cars.

Comment

To: Joe Hall,----- You would probably do well on the reality show 'Survivor'!

Comment

Comment

This and the above link are the 352.

Comment

Lemme try a better shot. http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...o/57fe95ec.jpg

Comment

This is the fan on the 289.

Comment

Still learning how to post photos.

Comment

None of the photos came out very good, because my son's IPOD does not have a flash. Like l I said, still learning. http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...o/f9faccbc.jpg

Comment

To; Joe Hall,----Well done!

Comment

Working...
                          X