Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THIS is a cool '64 Daytona hardtop

Here's proof positive that imagination trumps money:

'Just got back from The 2012 Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Drag Race at Bean Blossom Indiana's Brown County Raceway. Well into the 90s all day, but we had about 18 Studes running and everyone had a good time.

We had about as many Studebakers from out of state as we did in-state...well, that might be exagerrating a little, but Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Tennessee were represented, and I may have missed one or two.

Easily the cutest Studebaker on the premises was Forum Member Ryan Paturalski's 1964 Daytona hardtop. Ryan, shown above with his car, is beatnik64 here on the forum, a 30-year old South Bend native now living in Tennessee.

Now, when you see Ryan's '64 from afar, or even up close, you are certain it is a dealership's old drag race time capsule that somehow survived decades tucked away in a garage gathering dust, and that Ryan was fortunate enough to find it and had the good sense to leave it alone and just clean it up and preserve the patina as best he could.

Wrong.

He'll gladly tell you he created the car when he bought it several years ago sight-unseen and it proved to be less than he expected when it arrived. He planned a full restoration but knew he could not afford that after inventorying the car. Rather, he thankfully had the creative idea you see above. He's not bashful about telling you what he did, and he's to be commended for taking such an imaginative approach, creating a car that likely draws more looks and smiles than a fully-restored "ordinary" car.

The Daytona's paint was assorted and weak, so Ryan began by wet-sanding the whole car with 1,000 paper and then leaving it alone, having produced a dusty, shop-and-age-worn look, including areas you'd swear had simply been buffed through over the years.

He then enlisted the help of a sign-painter friend to come over and letter the car as if it had been lettered in 1964 and then left alone, the lettering left to age with the rest of the car. The sign-painter buddy did a beautiful job; you have to be right on top of the car to wonder if that lettering isn't decades old...and even then, you're not too sure it isn't.

Ryan was raised at 241 East Eckman St. in South Bend, so that's where he came up with the name of the "sponsoring" dealership....and the car's 241 number. I'm not sure if an R1/Flightomatic (which it is) Daytona hardtop would have run C/SA in 1964, but that's what Ryan "figgered." (Yes, the name ECHMAN is misspelled with an "H" instead of a "K." 'Seems as though Ryan printed the name of the "dealership" for his buddy to paint, and Ryan admitted that his printed K looked too much like an H, so he didn't blame his sign-painter buddy for the mistake.)

Obviously, Ryan doesn't have 'near the money in this project that a full-blown conventional restoration would have required....so a tip of the old 'Stetson to Ryan for the creativity that made lemonade when he was given a lemon...if I may so interpret his assessment of the situation!

Well played, Ryan; that's a real sweetheart. I'll bet most of us hope you leave it just as it is. It was nice meeting you and hearing "the rest of the story." BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for posting Bob......Ryan ..you did a great job on that car....see you at the IM
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

i "dig" it!!!

and ryan: grow a goatee and you'll pass for "maynard".
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Very Cool Ryan! We really do need a like or thumbs up button

Thanks for sharing it with us Bob, looks like a great Turning Wheels feature to me!
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

That is one bitchin' ride!
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

And to add to the story a little, this was also his bachelor party! I couldn't think of a better way. lol
            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 05-26-2012, 07:06 PM.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              And to add to the story a little, this was also his batchlor party! I couldn't think of a better way. lol
              Yeah, as Chris says, this trip was part of Ryan's long-distance bachelor party. Ryan isn't getting married until July 7, so he and his buddy were out having a good time. BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 05-27-2012, 04:35 AM. Reason: confirm wedding day
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Its July Bob
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Now THAT is cool!!! Love it! :-) :-)
                  Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Very cool..!
                    Great job Ryan..and congratulations..

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                      Its July Bob
                      Thanks. Duly noted and corrrected. (I actually thought I remembered him saying "July" but wasn't sure enough to post it 100%! ) BP

Comment

Wonder if the end of his honeymoon might put him in South Bend again at the end of July

Comment

Mighty COOOL Studebaker ! ! !
                          There's a few ol' cars & HotRods like that in Sweden to but no Studebaker so far as I know.
                          I've been thinking in the same ways when it comes to the paint, thou I'm not gonna keep my car gray, but this ol' original look...
                          Imagen ifthere was a photo-gallery...

Comment

Sharp lookin' ride, Ryan. You'll attract a lot of attention wherever you show it!

Dan Miller
                            Auburn, GA

Comment

Nice job, Ryan. I just bought a front drum from Ryan for my 57 Champion. What a pleasant person to deal with! We talked on the phone and I came away with the feeling that I had known him for awhile!!!
                              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X