63 Avanti rear bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 63 Avanti rear bumper

Having trouble getting the rear bumper aligned properly. 2 problems; the forward tip of each end of the bumper is 3/4" on the left side and 1/2" on the right side from meeting the attachment hole in the side of each rear fender, the manual calls for a rubber shim from 1/8" to 1/4 inch, but that falls far short of "filling" in the gap. Is this typical; how far should the tip of the bumper be from the fender and is the fender flexible enough to be pulled out toward the bumper tip? After nearly 6 weeks of paint and color sanding I do not want to crack the fender.? The second problem is the distance from the top edge of bumper varies from the back of the car body by nearly 3/4 inch from left to right on a horizontal plain along the top edge of the bumper. I can't see how this is adjusted without elongating the bumper brackets that are attached to the frame. see the pics. Ken Deltaville, Va

added 4-24 --THANKS for help, both issues have be resolved. The gap on each side is now equal by reworking the horizontal slots in the main support frame and the bumper is now even across the back of car; this was done by elongating the holes in the left side suppot bracket where it is bolted to the car frame thus allowing the bumper to be pulled forward on the left side. Thanks agian, Ken
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ken-renda; 04-24-2012, 10:07 AM.

There should be no stress on the fibreglass fenders. The inner lateral bumper stays must be adjusted to firmly contact the inner surface of the fender. The end of the bumper car then be pulled to some extent to close the gap. However, you should verify that your body is aligned to the frame. If possible, loosen all body mounts and shift the rear of the body to balance the body to fender gaps first and the proceed with the adjustments of the bumper stays. This will take a while and is not easy. Make sure the orientation of the inner stays is correct. The stay outer surface should contact the inner fender surface "on the flat". As to the gap across the rear, if the hole for the side stay bolt will permit, add washer shims to the short side where the rear stay mounts.
    What you have run into, is not unusual for Avanti bodies. Just take your time and think it out, but never put flexing pressure on the body surfaces.

Comment

Ken

Bill knows of what he speaks so don't stress the fiberglass.

FWIW, I've been detailing the 83 today for a car show this coming weekend and I measured my bumper clearance at the points you measured. The gap between the bumper and rear of the car is 1.0" both drivers and passenger side. The side measurements are 1.0" on the passengers side and 7/8" on the drivers. The gap is closed with a combination of rubber and metal shims at the mounting pad area.

I know 63 vs 83 but same body and bumpers.

Bob

Comment

Very possible that bumper is a bit 'tweaked' also.

Comment

As mentioned above, when the bumper is bolted up, there should be no stress on the fiberglass. It is also very important to avoid putting stress on the bumper itself. When installing the bolts and rubber shims on the side brackets, don't be tempted to try to pull in the bumper to even the gaps. While the leverage is such that it will "flex" the front of the bumper in, this can cause the chrome to peel where the corner of the bumper is stressed. Use as many shims as necessary to avoid flexing the bumper. Centering of the bumper must be done with the main brackets. Some slotting of holes may be necessary.
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X