What type connector on original a/c system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: What type connector on original a/c system

My 1962 Hawk has a Factory Air Conditioning System with a York Compressor. While I am rebuilding the engine, I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade the system to R-134, with a new Sandon Compressor and Condensor. I want to retain the underdash Evaporator (air conditioner), so I don't want to replace the entire system.
    The question is, what type of connectors do I have on this system? (the car isn't here at home and I can't remember) I believe there are flare and o-ring connectors. Which type do I have? Or has the connector system stayed the same over the years and there are only o-ring connectors!!?? If there are two different types, is there a something that can adapt flare to o-ring... Help!!
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

They are all flare fittings on that car. There is a lot of dispute as to whether R-134 is an "upgrade" in an existing system. The Sanden compressor, and its companion the New compressor are made with either fitting system. The New compressor is made at Sanden's chinese factory. The O ring is a better sealing system, but you can get the compressor with either a flare or an O ring system. The problem is the hoses are not long enough to reach the fittings on the Sanden, or the New compressor. To adapt the new New or Sanden compressor, you need to buy a plate that sits on top of the York compressor plate. When I put the plate on, I noticed that it interfered with the valve cover on the passenger side. I cut the corner off of the adapter plate(see pic), and now I can pull the valve cover without moving the compressor. Had to move the York to get the valve comer off. It is about $50.00. The compressor is about $200.00. You need to find an A/C guy, who can build you specialized hoses, ones with O rings on the compressor side, and flares on the other side.

As to the condenser, I used the original, but took the dryer off, and replaced it with a fitting that goes to the compressor. The Studebaker unit, being a one size fits all unit, had about 3 site glasses on it. One is on the bottom of the dryer, and is prone to leaking. Again it takes a special fitting. I cut the return hose, and put a dryer there.

If you can't find someone in Lousiana who can sell you the parts, and make the hoses, Mark McCain at McCain Auto A/C in Dallas, has built a couple of systems for member of the forum, and mine also.
    Last edited by Chucks Stude; 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

To; mjeansonne,------ As an aside,.... R-134 compatible o rings are different from the R-12 type, and usually green in color for identification purposes.

Comment

Also, didn't have to change the belt at all.

Comment

Working...
        X