Full flow, spin on Oil Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Full flow, spin on Oil Filters

When, or did, Studebaker evolve to a spin-on type, full flow oil filter with boss cast to the block? Were any of the canister types full filtering? Thanks, Dan

May of 1962 I think.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

There is no such thing as a full flow canister type filter. Since they are an add on accessory, they are partial flow only. The spin on bracket for Studebaker engines is bolted to the block. It is not a cast part of it.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
        There is no such thing as a full flow canister type filter. Since they are an add on accessory, they are partial flow only. The spin on bracket for Studebaker engines is bolted to the block. It is not a cast part of it.

Terry
        Actually, believe it or not, there was a Studebaker part-numbered accessory full-flow cannister oil filter offered on later full-flow engines. I wouldn't have known that except I ended up with several sets in a dealer buyout.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

That is true Paul, but the uninformed should keep in mind that they were NOT on top of the Engine, but rather there is an Aluminum filter base that bolts onto the late '62 to '64 6 & 8 Cyl. blocks like the spin-on type but it accepts a large Dia. Canister with the element inside like the early Chev. except their's went right into the block.

These were used on fleets like Taxis to save the cost of the more expensive (at the time) spin on, with it's own case.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X