Cam thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Cam thoughts?

As some I know I got a donated 289 full flow motor to put into my 2R10 in front of my 3 on the tree w/OD.
    My plan is to just freshen it up with rings and valve seals {crank seals as well} and all gaskets and do a valve lap as long as the seats and guides look good. The valves look great so far.

I have a manifold thread to address some cool vintage look for that, but I am thinking that while I am in the motor and it is out of the truck maybe I had oughta put a cam in it...I love some lope in a motor.

Is there a good cam on the market or any things I need to know about helping a 289 have some lopeitielope to it and a bit more punch.
    I am not build a race truck, just a fun daily driver, but we all love a little power and great sound.

Just curious mostly, but if they are out there affordably enough, i would consider it. I see alot of talk about R2 cams and R2+, but I can not get Fairborn to come up other than a home page.

I also saw youtube video on a rocker arm shaft mod that got alot more lift, but I could not find any info on what the mod was, just that it helped...

Just call Phil Harris at Fairborne. He won't bite you.
    Plan on sending him your old cam as a core, as they are 'reground' to give you more total lift.
    Plan on installing 16 new (or reconditioned) lifters, so you won't screw up the new cam.
    You'll get that sound you seek...
    Jeff

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    As some I know I got a donated 289 full flow motor to put into my 2R10 in front of my 3 on the tree w/OD.
    My plan is to just freshen it up with rings and valve seals {crank seals as well} and all gaskets and do a valve lap as long as the seats and guides look good. The valves look great so far.

I have a manifold thread to address some cool vintage look for that, but I am thinking that while I am in the motor and it is out of the truck maybe I had oughta put a cam in it...I love some lope in a motor.

Is there a good cam on the market or any things I need to know about helping a 289 have some lopeitielope to it and a bit more punch.
    I am not build a race truck, just a fun daily driver, but we all love a little power and great sound.

Just curious mostly, but if they are out there affordably enough, i would consider it. I see alot of talk about R2 cams and R2+, but I can not get Fairborn to come up other than a home page.

I also saw youtube video on a rocker arm shaft mod that got alot more lift, but I could not find any info on what the mod was, just that it helped...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You can fill and re-drill the rocker adjustment screw hole and increase the rocker arm 'ratio'.
      But be aware that this will also increase the duration, and the overlap (if you do both the intakes and exhaust)...
      This is not a 'quick and easy' bolt on deal, and should be done long after the basics have been done, and done very carefully.
      HTIH
      Jeff

<snip>
      I also saw youtube video on a rocker arm shaft mod that got alot more lift, but I could not find any info on what the mod was, just that it helped... ...

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

You can fill and re-drill the rocker adjustment screw hole and increase the rocker arm 'ratio'.
        But be aware that this will also increase the duration, and the overlap (if you do both the intakes and exhaust)...
        IIRC, increasing rocker ratio increases net valve lift, lift rate and area under the lift curve. However, graphing the two will show increased rocker ratio does not increase duration and only slightly increases overlap.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I had a feeling the rocker arm thing was quite involved.

Comment

btw= DEEPNHOCK, on your sig line it looks like your name is Jeff Rice? I can read the Jeff but not clear enough to read the last name?

Just curious because I have a great friend named Jeff Rice that lives here in So Cal.

Comment

Kelly here is a cam you can have if interested, it came from a 62 289 GT engine, been used and might fit a little loose but cost is good.

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I use either an Isky E4 or ST5 cam when I rebuild a Studebaker engine. The E4 grind is fairly mild and will give a decent idle and good vacuum. The ST5 in my Avanti has a lopey idle and lower idle vacuum which I don't think is the best choice for a truck. I used an E4 in my 64 Champ with a 289 and overdrive and it worked really well. Iskenderian is located in Gardena, Ca so I just take a couple of cores to them when I need a cam reground, just in case one core isn't useable. Bud

Comment

OK Jack... I was just trying to be nitpicky to remind people that changes have consequences
                  You just outnitpicked me...again
                  Jeff

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  IIRC, increasing rocker ratio increases net valve lift, lift rate and area under the lift curve. However, graphing the two will show increased rocker ratio does not increase duration and only slightly increases overlap.
                  jack vines

Jeff

Comment

Is he rich?
                    He might be my long lost brother!

btw= DEEPNHOCK, on your sig line it looks like your name is Jeff Rice? I can read the Jeff but not clear enough to read the last name?
                    Just curious because I have a great friend named Jeff Rice that lives here in So Cal.

Jeff

Comment

small points - the timing of instantaneous opening might logically seem to still be the same (rocker ratios of 1.5 versus 1.6 would result in 1.5 X 0 and also 1.6 x 0 both = 0 ). But the purpose of valve adjustment on a mechanical cam is to completely close up all clearance (lash) while on ramps of very slow activity that precede rapid valve opening (and closing) before sending the lifter on agu G thril ride . This means changes in valve lash will slightly change valve timing, and is supposedly significant enough to be used by racers as a tuning aid to add a little low end if they chose "too much" cam, or as a test to see if there would be a benefit to a more radical cam. Throw in that some say effective flow thru a valve can not begin until it is open some amount ( 0.02, 0.04 , whatever, inches) , and the effective duration would change a bit along with a change in rocker ratio. It is pretty common to compare cam timings at 0.05 tappet/lifter lift to get the 50 degrees or so of fluff out of the 'advertized' duration, as well as rocker ratio aberration.

I'll see if I can find that 1960s Hot Rod (?) article where Bill Jenkins said approximately that a slightly leaking exhaust valve does not cost much HP.

Comment

I heard Grumpy is not feeling too well lately... Too bad...He's a legend.
                        That leaky exhaust will hurt you on a turbo'd application.
                        But I believe the point of the thread was to find 'easy' bolt on mods that would 'perk up' a Stude V8.
                        The minutia of building a full race (or performance street) engine can boggle the mind.
                        Jeff

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                        <snip>
                        I'll see if I can find that 1960s Hot Rod (?) article where Bill Jenkins said approximately that a slightly leaking exhaust valve does not cost much HP.

Jeff

Comment

The one key point for increasing rocker ratio none of us has yet mentioned is the increase in rate and lift necessitates stronger valve springs. The R2 springs will not be strong enough if 1.6 or 1.65 rockers are also added.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Jack is correct in his comments.
                            And don't forget...that rocker arm modification....isn't for the weak of wallet..!

Mike

Comment

Last set of roller rockers I bought from Harlan Sharp was $500. The one advantage is they're a bolt-on.

Mike's roller cam project will produce much better results albiet at twice the price, once roller lifters and custom pushrods are all added in.

but we all love a little power and great sound.
                              maybe I had oughta put a cam in it...I love some lope in a motor.
                              The cam itself is definitely affordable. If all you want is "some lope", order an ST5 from Iskenderian for less than $100. Just be aware, you're on a slippery slope. The ST5 cam really needs more compression, needs at least $1000 in head, valve and spring work, needs a better intake and carb. On an otherwise stock Stude V8, that lope will just waste fuel and make less low end torque.

We're just giving free advice. Your build, your money, your decision.
                              jack vines

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X