Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will have an extra 1956 President 4 dr body anyone need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will have an extra 1956 President 4 dr body anyone need one?

I now have two 56 4dr cars and will be stripping one of them and getting rid of the body. I don't need two bodies just one. I found a car with a ton of N.O.S parts and the car came with it so I have an extra body and chassis. I am not sure what car I will be using to restore but I just wanted to put out a feeler to see if anyone is needing a body. These are the two cars I have to decide from:

or

Both cars are in pretty good shape I have yet to tear out carpet to get a better view but I am leaning towards keeping the pink one. Nonetheless. If anyone is needing a body or part of the body I would be willing to do what I can to help someone else out. I don't want to crush it and I know if I post an ad on craigslist or similar sight there will be those that only have that intention. So if someone is interested I will post more pictures once I get down to just the body.

Hope everyone is doing well..

Joe.

If you can't sell the body as a unit: try to snag the 'bolt on' stuff like doors, gas tank, suspension parts, PS gear if it's a Saginaw and matching column, instruments, interior, etc.

The bottom car looks significantly cleaner as in intact 1/4 panels, etc.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I need the seats out of one.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

I see lotsa parts between the two-
        no problem saving one of 'em!!!
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi

Save everything you can if no one takes it complete. Looking at it with eastern eyes used to rust-ruined sedans beyond restoration, both cars look restorable and should be saved. I imagine that's not practical for you, shame there isn't more interest in the '56 President Classic so that more are restored and preserved.

I'd advise to use the most solid, straight body and chassis to restore in Rosebud and White with all the power options you have available between the two cars plus whatever others you can scare up from parted out cars. If you can locate an original air conditioning unit, that is the ultimate prize. The finished car will be the most desirable version of a '56 President Classic to enjoy and yield the best return when you sell.

The picked carcass could also yield it's 120" wb chassis frame for use to restore a Hawk, the only difference is the placement of the front body mount cross-member if I read the chassis parts book correctly. I parted out a rusted '57 Clipper Town Sedan with good chassis twenty years ago. It replaced a severely rusted Hawk frame that was being restored.

Keep us posted on your progress........maybe a restoration article for the TW documenting your work?

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve.

You guys won't believe the amount of N.O.S parts that came with this car. I have a one ton pickup and it was bottomed out and the car is loaded with parts. I will try and take pictures of all the parts but some of the NOS parts are: Front fenders (inner and outer), horn button, horn ring, hood ornament, bumper ends, tailpipe tips, four sets of hupcaps, chrome headlight rings, headlight visors, turn signal housings, tail light housings and lenses, kleenax dispenser (one mounted in car and one still in box), door locks, fender emblems, kick panels.

I am thinking of taking the best of the used parts and making the four door out of and then all the nos parts putting them on the two door. I believe the two door would benefit more from the parts. I have accumulated many nos parts such as grill and the piece above and below the grill, tail light bezels, etc. So the Rosebud four door looks to be solid (time will tell) and if that is the case it shouldn't take me long to restore the car. Then I can drive it while doing a complete restoration to the two door. The two door is most significant to me because it is my first studebaker and I will keep that forever.

Right now I am in the process of building three isles of storage in my basement. The car came with four v8 engines so I have eight heads to shelve and I have one more to add to it. I also have three four barrel carbs and intakes, exhaust manifolds, trannys, bell housings, starters, generators... etc. Tons of parts. I will take pictures soon enough.

I hope to be finished with the shelves today and will be moving my parts to my basement. The bonus is that I have a split level home so I only have to go down six or seven steps The engines have the heads off so the blocks are not too heavy. I plan on standing the blocks on end and building a wood dolly to store them. Anyone else know of a better way? Should I tear them down or leave them as is? I think I will spray them down and wrap in a trash bag. I have a dehumidifier in the basement so nothing will rust...

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. By the way... what is the tranny that everyone is after?? I have two extra and wasn't sure if I had the one or not...

To the guy that needs the seats... You have first dibs... I will let you see some pics once I get things organized.

Joe.

Comment

What an accomodating Stude owner. Makes me proud to be in a club with such fine folks. Post photos of your "Parts" room when you get it organized. It sounds like a great adventure.

Comment

I would be interested in the window vent shades also save the back window and its wide moulding just my advice These are pretty rare colors I prefer the doeskin one

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                  I would be interested in the window vent shades
                  Gosh darn it!!! I knew I should'a mentioned those first!!!
                  No worries- they might look odd on a '58 Packard anyway...

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I am a bit confused - you show pictures of TWO 4-door cars, but mention a TWO-door car?? DID Studebaker make a two-door in this year? I am drawing a blank on that possibility.

More familiar with Hawks (C/K coupes) and Lark-types than the other Studes.

I would keep everything you can of this "Un-obtain-ium" - Some one will need parts in the future.

Drew

Comment

If I were closer, I would sure help out with the organization process!
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
                        I am a bit confused - you show pictures of TWO 4-door cars, but mention a TWO-door car?? DID Studebaker make a two-door in this year? I am drawing a blank on that possibility.

More familiar with Hawks (C/K coupes) and Lark-types than the other Studes.

I would keep everything you can of this "Un-obtain-ium" - Some one will need parts in the future.

Drew
                        Yes I have a two door...

Comment

I can't imagine parting out either of those cars.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Two "Marginal" cars can nearly always blend the sum of their parts to make one that's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !
                            JimsLeadCommander

Comment

This is what I picked up... and these were the pictures that convinced me it was worth the 2400 mile round trip to go get the stuff....

Comment

Working...
                              X