Aluminum Radiator conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Aluminum Radiator conversion

I ordered an aluminum 3-row radiator for a 72-86 Jeep V8 CJ ($185 on eBay!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-86...ht_2795wt_1123 ) and I'm thinking I should get a fan shroud for it as well - does anybody know offhand if the stock CJ fan shroud fits with a Stude clutch fan? Can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere on line. I assume it will mount up ok just wondering about depth and fan opening size.

Hate to be a smart alec, but what kinda car you putting this in? Checked your profile and couldn't find what kinda car it is.

Comment

Oops

63 Daytona, 259 auto

Comment

Pat, here's a pretty good thread on this subject:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks, Bob - that's where I found the info about the CJ-7 radiator. Curious about using a CJ fan shroud as well, guess I'll hit the boneyard and find one to play with.

Comment

Check with the radiator people, they have a generic plastic fan shroud that looks like it would work with a Lark. I saw this on a 57 Chevy that got a new radiator, and Vintage Air. Looks pretty good.

Comment

That radiator looks perfect for my Chevy conversion on my 62 Lark. The EBay listing says it includes an internal trans cooler. I will be running a Muncie 4 speed, so won't need that, but was wondering if the same internal cooler could be used for an oil cooler instead?

Comment

The CJ fan shroud has notches for the hoses in different locations and the opening is not centered for the fan. You normally need to really cut one up to get it to fit and by that time it looks terrible! As for the trans cooler in the alum. radiator to be used for an engine oil cooler - I would not do this as it would restrict flow! These are normally 5/16" lines and most oil cooler lines are 1/2". Big difference in flow capabilities.
                1958 Transtar 3E6-122
                1958 Transtar 3E13-31
                1959 Transtar 4E7-122
                1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
                1960 Transtar 5E28-171
                1960 Lark Gasser
                1963 Daytona

Comment

Pat, when you get your radiator installed can you please put up some pic's of the install and any modifications that you had to do.
                  I am thinking of doing the same on a project.
                  Thanks,
                  George King
                  Grants Pass, Oregon
                  64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Will that radiator fit a Hawk? Or are Lark radiators specific to that car?

Comment

Originally posted by Orestudeguy View Post
                      Pat, when you get your radiator installed can you please put up some pic's of the install and any modifications that you had to do.
                      I am thinking of doing the same on a project.
                      Thanks,
                      I'll be sure to take pictures and post. Engine temperature is the #1 reason I don't drive my Studes a lot here in LA - running around with the temp gage pegged just makes me nervous.

That said, if normal operating temp for s Stude is 180 - 200 degrees as some have said, why is the middle of the temp gage about 160? What kind of bonehead engineer designs something that way?

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
                        That said, if normal operating temp for s Stude is 180 - 200 degrees as some have said, why is the middle of the temp gage about 160? What kind of bonehead engineer designs something that way?
                        Good point, I wondered that too. In the race cars we always clock the gauges so when the needle is straight up it's where 'normal' should be. That way you can glance without having to read. Fine for a race car, but having your gauges all c ockeyed looks like crap in a street car.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Stude' originally (back in the day) installed 160 deg thermo's.
                          Have read a few threads re the use of the CJ radiator, this is the first of some one recently doing the install. Yes, pic's would be great!
                          Paul TK

Comment

Any chance that a 'regular' replacement radiator for a 1972-86 Jeep CJ would work in lieu of the aluminum unit?
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I don't see why not - same form factor, but I would think that in AZ you'd want all the cooling you can get. I know here in So Cal I do.

Comment

Working...
                              X