No announcement yet.

57 Hawk running First time in YEARS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 57 Hawk running First time in YEARS!!

Just wanted to post in excitement! I bought this california car a couple years ago and took my time doing the engine right, even finishing the front suspension, brakes, dash, new wiring, etc. before starting.. I wanted starting the engine to be one of the last things.. Now it's just readjusting the brakes, alignment and tires then Body Shop..

Well last night after finding a fault in the fuel pump, I got the engine started. With a slight amount of gas in the carb it fired up w/o hardly any adjustment!
    This is the best sounding engine I've ever heard! Not even - hardly any rocker arm ticking. No smoke and just a good strong motor. The timing was about spot on but the dwell is a little low.. Setting the points is tough if you use a meter (it's finicky) but the gap I left it with sounds great.. I'm at 24 deg where the book says 31 - not sure how much that will matter.
    Can't wait to get tires on this so I can drive it up to the car wash (no headlights or grille though. Just a plain dusty brown)..

Now to PUSH the paint shop - it's being done as a driver - south dakota and nebraska camping (tear drop trailer), dirt roads and fun but good enough to turn heads! Even have a custom Firebird front sway bar attached for better handling thanks to some chap in CA.

Here is the colors I've selected - http://thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca/jcalder2.jpg

73's!!

Congrats on hearing it run. In my experience, nothing survives hibernation better than a Stude V8. However, absolutely, positively, definitely replace the valve stem seals and adjust the valves. You'll be glad you did.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
    X