J.I.S. screwdrivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: J.I.S. screwdrivers

Since I am working on my door latches and hinges I was reading old threads about door hinges, pins, screws, adjusting, rebuilding.
    One mentioned that the screws are "Posidrive" screwheads. That they are NOT philips. This is correct.
    If you don't have the Posidrive, screwdrivers are available that fit, they are, "Japanese Industrial Standard" J.I.S.
    Philips were developed to allow the driver to twist out of the screw. JIS drivers and screws are designed to grip and stay in the screw.
    The JIS drivers fit stock Studebaker screws correctly. They are hard to find, I had to order a full set online.
    I bought replacement tips for my Craftsman hand held impact driver [you whack it with a hammer]
    from Horrible Fright, they fit Studebaker screws better than the Craftsman Philips tips. So far they have held up.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Yea..I've got the same problem.
    I'm removing a pair of doors from a 54 wagon for semi-safe keeping while the car goes away to wagon heaven.
    Even with a LARGE hammer, those fasteners weren't comming out.

I've got a way around it though...a torch...
    Just cut the panel that the hinges are bolted to. This saves the doors AND the hinges. Just have to figure a way to remove the fasteners at a later date..

Mike

Comment

With the correct posidrive or JIS screwdriver bit, I put the hex shank in the appropriate 1/2"dr bit holder, put that on an air impact gun, lean hard straight into the screw and pull the trigger. The screw will come out or it will twist off at the nut, but either way, the door is off the cowl.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

OK,

Where do you buy these 1/2 inch drive JIS bits?

Thanks,

Comment

The Craftsman and Horrible Fright tips are a 5/16 hex shank. The 1/2 ? I don't know.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Hmm..a pain in the butt to get my compressor out there, but that just might work.

Thanks Jack.

Mike

Comment

When I was parting out an old GT Hawk I couldn't undo those screws for love nor money, even with the right drive and an impact driver. So I just drilled off the screw heads on one side and gas axed the whole hinge on the other, as Jack did. I ALWAYS use 'Copper Coat' anti-seize on those little buggers now when re-assembling, as I might be the poor bastard that will have to take 'em apart next time ;-)
              Matt
              Brisbane
              Australia
              sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Where do you find those JIS driver bits? My internet searching just turned up small ones... not large enought for the door screws.

Comment

Grainger has Pozidrive bits, as does Matco. Snap-On has some sizes as well. Also found some here:

Last edited by showbizkid; 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

McFeely seems to be a good source for any kind of tools and hardware.
                    Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

Comment

What size do I need? I am guessing a #3?
                      The car is finally back together... but one never knows...

Comment

Working...
                      X