This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternators

Will an alternator make the bearings go bad in a 2R Champion engine? Or would it be fine to put one on. Thanks for the help Steve.

Which "bearings"? They've been known to have an adverse effect on muffler bearings, but I've personally never seen such.[)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just keep them lubed with relitive bearing grease. (Navy Joke)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 GT Hawk
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      53 Street rod
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I heard it would wear out the engine bearings because the belt has to be tighter.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TheBusDriver

I heard it would wear out the engine bearings because the belt has to be tighter.
          The bearings in the alternator are much much smaller than engine main bearings. An overly tight belt might prematurely wear out alternator bearings, but the engine won't even know the alternator is there.

-Dick-

BTW, I think belt tension is about the same between a generator and an alternator. Also, an overly tight belt will wear out your water pump prematurely.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Muffler bearings, now MR. Briggs you are a hoot. To the topic, I think H2O bearings can be stressed by a too tight belt. Can a too loose belt vibrarte and wear out the alt bearings?

Comment

Too loose a belt will be thrown off easier the last thing you need is a a stoplight drag to turn that belt inside out and have to drive home with the lights going dim and the engine overheating. Myself I prefer them tight.[]

Comment

What x--actly is a muffler bearing? I've heard them spoken of frequently. Do they ever appear on e-bay? If so, should I bid to win because they might be a scarce item? I've yet to see one. Are they available through local parts suppliers and where is it located? This may be a dumb question, but if my car is equipped with duals, would I be needing two? Possibly they might be associated with the x-haust. Am I right on that? jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                X