Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Part Request

Hello,

This is to anyone who has restored the reel type antenna and can provide me with some advice.

I have a reel type antenna for a 1959 Lark. Unfortunantly, the cable was cut in two, making the antenna useless at the moment. It is complete with both pieces of cable and all the other parts needed to make a good antenna.

Does anyone have a spare cable? Is there a way to fix the broken one (i.e., sauder, weld, etc)?

Thank you

1947 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Do you mean the lead-in wire, or the plastic "rod" that spools the antenna mast up and down?

I can think of no reliable way to splice the latter, but the lead-in wire can be spliced.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Do you mean the lead-in wire, or the plastic "rod" that spools the antenna mast up and down?

I can think of no reliable way to splice the latter, but the lead-in wire can be spliced.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Yeah, I am referring to the lead-in wire (if that is the wire that follows the entire part of the antenna). It is not plastic, so I am assuming this is it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "splicing it"

1947 Studebaker M-5
        1947 Studebaker M-5
        1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Yeah, I am referring to the lead-in wire (if that is the wire that follows the entire part of the antenna). It is not plastic, so I am assuming this is it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "splicing it"

1947 Studebaker M-5
          1947 Studebaker M-5
          1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Let's try again: is it the black wire that runs from the base of the antenna to the radio, or the "core" that is wound around the spool and runs up inside the antenna mast to extend/retract it?

"Splice" is a term that means to effectively join the ends of two ropes, or cables, or wires. Properly done, a splice is nearly indistinguishable from the parent material.

I have the guts of an old wind-up antenna around here someplace. I know power antennas I've tinkered with used a length of THICK nylon monofilament to operate the mast. Like extra-heavy weed whacker line, it is. That stuff, I don't think you could readily splice, as nylon doesn't take glue well, and is hard to weld, too.

The lead-in wire, which plugs into the radio, can be quite easily spliced by using solder plus heat-shrink tubing.

Comment

Let's try again: is it the black wire that runs from the base of the antenna to the radio, or the "core" that is wound around the spool and runs up inside the antenna mast to extend/retract it?

"Splice" is a term that means to effectively join the ends of two ropes, or cables, or wires. Properly done, a splice is nearly indistinguishable from the parent material.

I have the guts of an old wind-up antenna around here someplace. I know power antennas I've tinkered with used a length of THICK nylon monofilament to operate the mast. Like extra-heavy weed whacker line, it is. That stuff, I don't think you could readily splice, as nylon doesn't take glue well, and is hard to weld, too.

The lead-in wire, which plugs into the radio, can be quite easily spliced by using solder plus heat-shrink tubing.

Comment

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems to go right along. Is there a way to replace the antenna that has been broken off? What about mounting hardware? Does anyone sell replacement parts?

Back on the real (reel) topic:
                As far as the cable goes, check out your local Radio Shack.

Carey
                Packard Hawk

Carey
                Packard Hawk

Comment

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems to go right along. Is there a way to replace the antenna that has been broken off? What about mounting hardware? Does anyone sell replacement parts?

Back on the real (reel) topic:
                  As far as the cable goes, check out your local Radio Shack.

Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Carey
                  Packard Hawk

Comment

I see, it is the core that is wound around the spool and makes the antenna retract and extend.

1947 Studebaker M-5
                    1947 Studebaker M-5
                    1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

I see, it is the core that is wound around the spool and makes the antenna retract and extend.

1947 Studebaker M-5
                      1947 Studebaker M-5
                      1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

My antennas (1951 & 1953) have cables like piano wire, not nylon. Maybe the later ones are different; I don't know

If it's spring steel cable, is it broken in halves or broken near the mast? Those antennas extend about 5 1/2 feet. If the break is near the mast, the remnant in the mast can be carefully drilled out. Then clean, flux and solder the cable back in to the mast. Maybe it will only extend five feet but that's twice as long as other antennas.

If the broken cable is too short to be serviceable, you'll need to find a replacement.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My antennas (1951 & 1953) have cables like piano wire, not nylon. Maybe the later ones are different; I don't know

If it's spring steel cable, is it broken in halves or broken near the mast? Those antennas extend about 5 1/2 feet. If the break is near the mast, the remnant in the mast can be carefully drilled out. Then clean, flux and solder the cable back in to the mast. Maybe it will only extend five feet but that's twice as long as other antennas.

If the broken cable is too short to be serviceable, you'll need to find a replacement.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

It will probably need to be replaced as it seems to be right in the middle of the cable. Do you know anyone who would have a spare laying around?

1947 Studebaker M-5
                            1947 Studebaker M-5
                            1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

It will probably need to be replaced as it seems to be right in the middle of the cable. Do you know anyone who would have a spare laying around?

1947 Studebaker M-5
                              1947 Studebaker M-5
                              1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Working...
                              X