Chrome repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Chrome repair?

My new-to-me '50 Commander 4-door has a very straight body, with almost no dents, but a little rust in the trunk and front floorboards. I can handle all of that. But, all of the chrome is pitted. Some not so bad, but some,....well.
    I'm more of a hot-rodder and have never restored a car before, so dealing with pitted chrome is new to me. I did manage to find a hood ornament that is in fair condition, and one NOS complete tail light assembly and one tail light bezel that almost looks new.
    So, can pitted chrome be stripped, repaired and re-chromed? If so, any sources to share?
    my only other alternative is to de-chrome all of it and fill the pits, then use that two part paint system to replicate chrome. Either that, or just de-chrome everything and paint it all black, like the body. Would much rather restore the chrome, though.
    All help would be appreciated.
    Also, anybody know any shops around that can take a lightly damaged bumper and straighten it and re-chrome it? This used to be a fairly common thing, but with all of the soft bumpers I guess it has become almost an obsolete business.
    Thanks for any guidance shared.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_034601.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1760542

I can take care of all of that for you.
    Forrester's Chrome
    11410 Veterans Memorial Hwy
    Douglasville Ga 30134

Note the new address. My location hasn't changed, just the name of the highway and the numbering system.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I'll vouch for Jerry's work, he's the guy you want. Hey Jerry, do you think the locals are trying to tell you something? Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
        Hey Jerry, do you think the locals are trying to tell you something? Bill
        No, it wasn't aimed at me. Evidently Senator Bankhead (for which the highway was named in1916) was a racest. It's a PC thing.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry does great work. Lots of us have proof mounted on our vehicles.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Trike -

Only partially to do with "soft bumpers". As much, if not more to do with the chemicals used and the EPA/Government.

Mike

Comment

I just recieved chrome from Jerry on Tuesday. Cowl molding and taillights. It looks fantastic.
              sigpic
              '89 Ford Festiva
              '90 Ford F250 4x4
              '18 Kia Soul
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                I can take care of all of that for you.
                Forrester's Chrome
                11410 Veterans Memorial Hwy
                Douglasville Ga 30134

Note the new address. My location hasn't changed, just the name of the highway and the numbering system.
                I will be calling you soon! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X