re-plumbing my '52 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: re-plumbing my '52 Commander

I just bought the 18' of 5/8" heater hose (black) for my '52 Commander, and the 4' of 3/8" hose required. I had removed the hoses including the tees that connect the 3/8 and 5/8 hoses leaving them all together, thinking I could reassemble them and reinstall them together. Unfortunately, The hoses were as brittle as dry twigs and some of them broke into pieces when I started handling them. Now I am not sure how to reinstall them as they were. I suppose if the hoses are switched at the connections to the heater cores it won't matter if the water flows in the opposite direction, but what about the control valve? Can someone show me pics or something to guide me in re-plumbing this V8 Commander with under-seat heater? I have the tees all cleaned up and ready. Thanks.
    thom

There's a great diagram (Plate AC-2) in the body parts book that I used. Takes some work to get everything correct and keep the hoses away from the manifold.
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

I just happened to have that picture saved on my computer.
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks 52-fan, that was exactly what I needed to see. I appreciate it. I will use the vintage style hose clamps on mine where they can be seen, when I can find some. For now I will use modern ones that I have on hand and switch to the "correct" ones later. Question - Do the correct ones come apart easily, like modern ones, so they can be put around the hoses without slipping the hoses off the fittings? Huh... maybe I should go ahead and get the right clamps now???
        And which vintage ones are correct, the flat strap with a machine screw and square nut type, ore the round double wire & screw with nut style?
        Last edited by thom; 04-13-2019, 11:18 PM. Reason: oops
        thom

Comment

I sold a complete Climatizer kit a few years ago. It had all the correct clamps etc. I took pictures of all the NOS pieces. I think this will answer your questions.
          Attached Files
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
            I suppose if the hoses are switched at the connections to the heater cores it won't matter if the water flows in the opposite direction,....
            It actually does make a difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1727630

Originally posted by thom View Post
            Question - Do the correct ones come apart easily, like modern ones, so they can be put around the hoses without slipping the hoses off the fittings?
            And which vintage ones are correct, the flat strap with a machine screw and square nut type, ore the round double wire & screw with nut style?
            Yes, they do come apart. Howard's photo shows the correct clamps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamps.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1727631
            Last edited by rockne10; 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I got all the new hoses installed. I think I got it all hooked back up right. I will get the correct clamps later, after the hoses have sealed in place. Hopefully, I can install the clamps without removing the hoses. I removed, painted, and reinstalled the blower motor on the firewall too. It will look nice with the "Climatizer" decal on it. My tees cleaned up nice, and were not corroded like I expected them to be. I will clean and paint the smaller blower without removing it, tomorrow. Next is the wiper motor, after it is removed, detailed, and reinstalled, my firewall will be looking much better.
              thom

Comment

Working...
              X