1953 2R11 3/4 ton truck project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 2R11 3/4 ton truck project

Does anyone know if anyone makes aftermarket wheels to replace the split rims 6.5 x 16 one on this truck? I cannot find anyone who has any wheels for this particular one; plenty of tires out there. It has 6.5x16 6 lug split rim wheels on it now but no one in TX likes working on one that size so I want to trade them for more modern ones with radial tires.

Steve
    Texas
    Attached Files

Here is some discussion I found by searching "split+rim"

The basic idea seems to be that it is not a split rim, but a two piece wheel. As such it is not as potentially dangerous as a true split rim.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

You just need to educate your Local Tire Store people, let them SEE the Wheels.

You will likely have to settle for Tubed, Bias Ply Highway Truck Tires.

Custom Made, Radial capable replacement Wheels tend to be about $2000.00 for 4 !
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks I will download some of these and let them look them over. Most were skiitish that it would not fit on thier big tire safety rack. I tried to explain to them how on the farm we just chain them to a metal pole and use a locking air fitting to fill them up. Dang city kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Firedogs64 View Post
          Thanks I will download some of these and let them look them over. Most were skiitish that it would not fit on thier big tire safety rack. I tried to explain to them how on the farm we just chain them to a metal pole and use a locking air fitting to fill them up. Dang city kids.
          Haha! The boys from the farms around Minneapolis always had the hottest, fastest cars. They had all the equipment to work on them, space in the barn or shed, and the get-r-done mentality that overcame all obstacles. I was envious.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

but no one in TX likes working on one that size
            Call them out for the wimps they are! Texans used to take pride in being real men! No, those are not split rims and no, not dangerous to work on or drive; that's assuming they're not terminally rusty. Find a real truck tire shop or a farm tire shop. There are still farm trucks and forklifts running those wheels today.

You will likely have to settle for Tubed, Bias Ply Highway Truck Tires.
            Not so; modern radial tires work wonderfully well on those wheels. I've been using Michelin 215/85-16 with the appropriate tubes and flaps for almost forty years now. The first set only lasted thirty years before they began to weather check. Truck tires are built many times stronger than car tires.

JMHO, but to me those wheels are integral to the style of the 3/4t truck. Even if it were possible to find generic disc wheels, I wouldn't take them as a gift; they would neuter the looks.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

In the Army we used to inflate the Wheels under the truck, so that if they blew, the force would just hit the bottom of the truck. Or on the back it wasn't a problem anyway, as the lock rings were between the tires.

Comment

Working...
              X