1942/46 Trunk handle assembly- spring compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1942/46 Trunk handle assembly- spring compression

Not exactly sure what year the trunk handle is I'm trying to re-assemble, but I think it is 1942/46.
    The handle is held in place in the trunk lid bezel by a coil spring and c-shaped metal retainer ring.
    My problem is that the spring is quite strong, and I am not making any headway getting it compressed enough to get the keeper on. Almost looks like a special tool may be required.
    Anyway, I am sure a number of you folks have done this successfully, so I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Also, is there anything that fits between the handle and bezel, to keep them from rubbing, or is it just chrome against chrome?

Thanks!!

Well, here is what I did. Went to hardware store and bought a similar spring, with less tension. Was able to modify a fenderwell hose clamp into a c-shape which fit the spring and let me compress it in a vice enough to insert the keeper.

I had two or three different trunk handles, and now beginning to think I got parts mixed up and had the wrong combination when I tried to assemble this one.

Comment

Working...
    X