1963 Studebaker Lark 6 cylinder clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 1963 Studebaker Lark 6 cylinder clutch

Just removed the clutch from my '63 Lark, 6 cylinder with overdrive. What a task, little working room. My book says 8 inch dick, the disc I took out measures just over 8 inches and the pressure plate measures 8.5 inches across. What other years, models will fit and where can I purchase new or rebuilt clutch and pressure plate? I am new to Studebakers, so I may be asking more questions. Thanks, Arnie PS Any chapter or members in northern Nevada, Reno, Carson area

Im kinda in the same boat. Ive yet to see another. The book says we're supposed to have 8 5" disks.

Comment

I may have a complete set up. As I am packing for Reedsville this week I'll check , While I'm at it I will check the parts manual ,Ed

Comment

If you have 2 sets im interested

Comment

Page 230 in the SI catalog also shows the clutch disc and pressure plate.

Comment

My '64 170 has an 8-1/2" clutch and pressure plate. Someone used an earlier incorrect 8" disc in your car. The 6 cylinder clutches are available but are very rare and will require your core before your new clutch is sent out. Cost about $250 for cover and disc. Throw out bearing is about $65.

Comment

If you are not in a big hurry, I have some NOS clutches at home, and also probably some used ones with decent meat on the disc. But it will be a week or more for me to get to them. Not sure if there are any 8.5" among the NOS or not.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi Hudson rules , Here is what I came up with , 1-1553598 and 1- 1550958 , These are heavy duty 6 cylinder , The disc is 9 3/16 and the pressure plate is 9 1/4 , These parts are NOS , The pressure plate had light surface rust on the disc and it cleaned up nice , I do not have a throw out bearing , 140.00 for the pair , plus shipping , Thanks , Ed

Comment

My preference is to go with NOS pressure plates over rebuilt ones. When they rebuild, they tend to put stronger springs in, so that the same assembly will apply to more/different cars. I prefer the clutch pedal to be as easy to press as possible.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Rebuilt clutch assemblies are not as challenging to find as you are making it sound.
                    The rebuilders number for the disc is CD-2490...8-1/2” diameter, 1 inch 10 spline.
                    The pressure plate is CA-1391, noted as 1380 lbs. Fits various Studebakers, Ramblers, Volvos, and Oliver tractors.
                    I agree with RadioRoy’s statement above, it that a semi-universal replacement will have heavier springs than necessary.
                    You need to find a local source for rebuilt clutch assemblies. Tell them you want 1380 lbs, no more. They can select the proper springs for this and test the final assembly.
                    A little out of your area, but in Portland, Oregon is FleetPride, formerly Ott’s Friction Supply, and AFCo, (Automotive Friction Co.) But I bet you can find a more local source.

And, in checking an old Rayloc catalog, they show a different numbering system. Disc is R-2394, Clutch Cover Assembly (Pressure Plate) is CA-1530, although I had previously penciled in the above numbers. The 1380 lb. rating is also noted.
                    Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X