Freon (R-12) et al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Freon (R-12) et al

Recently was targeted by a few ads claiming a Nationwide Program is underway to find and buy old stashes of R-12, R-22, R-whatever.

You fill out a web form about your holdings and they give an estimate, come and pick it up, etc

Has anyone used this service or can give some testimony about viability, transfer of responsibility, etc?

I have a 30Lb tank of R-12 with an inch of dust on it.

thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

You'll likely sell it for more on ebay. I also had a 30 pound tank of R-12, but it rusted a hole in the bottom I lost it all.

Comment

We have a toxic waste program and they put product on the shelves for free reuse. I picked up 11 cans of R-12. If this program is for real I'd like to know. Rather sell it all at once than onesy-twosy.

Update, I found this: https://refrigerantfinders.com/lp1/?...SAAEgK3PvD_BwE
      Last edited by wittsend; 09-24-2018, 08:16 AM.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
        We have a toxic waste program and they put product on the shelves for free reuse. I picked up 11 cans of R-12. If this program is for real I'd like to know. Rather sell it all at once than onesy-twosy.

Update, I found this: https://refrigerantfinders.com/lp1/?...SAAEgK3PvD_BwE

Yes, that's the place..
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Ford part number: D4AZ-19B519-A (replaced B9LF-19B519-A) .. R-12 Freon - 1 lb. can / Obsolete

BOB LOWTH FORD in Bemidji MN has 15 = 218-444-6145.

WILSON MOTORS in Snyder TX has 48 = 325-573-1907.

BURTIS MOTOR CO. in Garden City KS has 65 = 620-275-6171.

FRED HARLAN MOTOR CO. in Okmulgee OK has 72 = 918-756-2075.

The above is from a post I typed several years ago on Ford Truck Enthusiasts (ford-trucks.com). So I don't know if these sources still have any.

Comment

Just for clarification, the original poster was asking about selling the R-12 to recoupe (some of) the price paid. They were just looking for a place that legally buys it. They did not seem to be looking for a place to take it (free) nor did they appear to be someone trying to buy it (as if in need).

Stated in my post #3, I actually received (for free) the 11 cans of R-12 through the local Toxic "reuse" program. I did not drop them off there. But, knowing that R-12 sells for about $30 a can I figured I got near $300 worth of R-12 if I found a buyer. I'm thinking these places that buy R-12 back probably pay far less than the going rate. I didn't bother to go through their quote process but if anyone does I'd be curious to know.

BTW, I don't believe these buy back places "dispose" of the R-12 it seems they resell it. Thus, even if it takes a very long time it should all eventually leak back into the atmostphere at some point. So much for being "Green."
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
              Thus, even if it takes a very long time it should all eventually leak back into the atmostphere at some point. So much for being "Green."
              That's a good point. Whatever R-12 that was going to be destroyed has been done long ago, so whatever is left will eventually get into the atmosphere.

However, since R-12 was banned in 1994, the amount remaining in containers and AC systems is minuscule.

Comment

The R-12 and R-24 is Probably going to Other Countries for big bucks!

There are probably quite a few that do not restrict it's use, South America, Korea, China, Russia, India?
                Since it is quite a bit more efficient, they probably Love it.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The law passed in 1995, as I recall, prohibited the manufacture of R-12, but so far as I know there has never been any restriction on sale or use. When the law was passed, I went to Costco and bought two 30 pound cans. One is still unopened, and still weighs at about 34 pounds. The other one has been used to fill two systems, now is down about 6 pounds in weight.

A few years ago a shop in Seattle was buying the stuff in Mexico, don't know if it was NOS or new production. I recently heard a discussion by a scientist who was directly involved in the antarctic "ozone hole" studies, and he said the whole thing was a hoax. But he was puzzled because he was never able to figure out who was making money from it.
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                    I recently heard a discussion by a scientist who was directly involved in the antarctic "ozone hole" studies, and he said the whole thing was a hoax.
                    I've never heard a claim like that from someone who is a "scientist who was directly involved". In fact I think the science is well accepted by true climate "scientists" .

Who is the scientist you heard this from?

Comment

[QUOTE=jnormanh;1128819]That's a good point. Whatever R-12 that was going to be destroyed has been done long ago, so whatever is left will eventually get into the atmosphere.

However, since R-12 was banned in 1994, the amount remaining in containers and AC systems is minuscule. The big problem is that is that the half life of R-12 is around 100 years, so the effects of R12 already in the atmosphere will decline, but only slowly. Things will look much better in about....500 years from now. [Quote]

Comment

Working...
                      X