289 wagonaire has slight surge suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 wagonaire has slight surge suddenly

My wagonaire has suddenly developed a slight surge, seems like at lower speed and cruising speed. It is similar to what you feel when a/c compressor kicks in. It has pertronix ign and new plug wires and spark plugs. It has been running great after overhaul and finding bad plug wires, just noticed this surging when going to show this weekend. Not sure where to start to diagnose the problem.

I'm quite new here and no expert but here's what I would try....

Did you fit the new wires, pertronix and plugs all at the same time? If so, I would remove each item seperately and replace with original to see if you can eliminate which one may be at fault. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump perhaps?

Hope you find the problem soon.

Steve.
    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Comment

Did you Power the Pertronix Module with a Pertronix Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt Coil?

And if so, did you give it the full 12 Volts in "Run Mode" WITHOUT the Pink resistance wire from the Ign. Sw. or a remote Resister block per the instructions?

It is always also good to separate the the #5 and #7 Spark Plug wires, and do not run them Parallel, if you have to, they can cross though. This is to prevent crossfire.

What kind of Carb. are you running? They are often the cause of surging along with several others.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-17-2018, 09:24 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't know anything about electronic distributors, but slight surge on a steady throttle is often the result of a lean fuel mixture?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Did you Power the Pertronix Module with a Pertronix Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt Coil?

And if so, did you give it the full 12 Volts in "Run Mode" WITHOUT the Pink resistance wire from the Ign. Sw. or a remote Resister block per the instructions?

It is always also good to separate the the #5 and #7 Spark Plug wires, and do not run them Parallel, if you have to, they can cross though. This is to prevent crossfire.

What kind of Carb. are you running? They are often the cause of surging along with several others.
          Yes I have the flame thrower coil and running full 12v. It's the Stromberg 6-132 carb. I am thing that is most likely where the problem is. I had a lot of trouble with it in the past, but last time I took it apart and cleaned it has been working good, other than I get terrible gas mileage (10mpg). It idles smooth as a babies butt but when I speed engine up and hold it, then it does the surging thing. When i went to pull the car around to the house it backfired, so I thought maybe it spit the vacuum hose off, but its ok. Doesn't really seem like ignition, but anything is possible.

Comment

Surging is most likely a fuel issue.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Agree. My tractor would surge and it was very annoying. If I drive 15 miles I can get non-moonshine gas and it does not surge. No-our^%$#@!!*%$## politicians will not allow farmers to put anything but ethanol in a farm fuel tank. I hate those weasels.

Comment

Seem to have solved the problem, but not 100% sure what it was. It seems more like it was ignition, pertronix tech guy told me to check ground wire to point plate, it looked pretty crappy so I put in a new one. Also found that engine was running a little lean, it had #53 jets and I went up to #55, maybe due to 30 over bore. Took forever to get the jets, so I got impatient and did the ground wire while carb was off. I don't really think the jets were the problem, because it was running fine for some time, but was running lean so I will have to drive for a while and check that again.

Comment

Thanks for posting your apparent solution. Too many times we get left hanging on what finally happened.
                  Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X