Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Motor mounts

Posted this on STT and figured I’d tap this forum as well

I finally pulled the engine out of my ‘48 M16 a few weeks ago and have been trying to prepare for the installation of a different engine that I have rebuilt. The motor that came out was not original to the truck and I am running into some minor problems with the motor mounts that I almost have solved. One problem I can’t seem to figure out is the position of the rear mounts. Do they go in front of the rear engine support plate? Or do they go behind the bell housing?
    Another question, how tall are the motor mount spacers supposed to be? Pictures would be great. Thank you, Neal

You might state:
    -What size/style/model/year engine you took out
    -What size/style/model/year engine you are putting back in
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      You might state:
      -What size/style/model/year engine you took out
      -What size/style/model/year engine you are putting back in
      1948 M16,

Removed a 1948 Commander 226 engine straight six

putting in a Commander 246 engine straight six

Comment

The 226 and 246 ci Commander engines are identical externally, so the original truck motor mounts will work. I don't have an M series truck, but on the later C cabs the rear ones are bolted to the front of the bell housing. Do you have an M series parts book? The illustrations would tell you how/which spacers get inserted where. I believe all of the motor mount parts are unique to the trucks, so if you previously had a car engine in your truck, whomever installed it may not have used the correct truck parts.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
        X