Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1916 WAGNER 6 Volt Generator Rebuild NEEDED !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 1916 WAGNER 6 Volt Generator Rebuild NEEDED !!

I have a 1916 Studebaker SF Four with a WAGNER 6 volt generator model Spec.EM. 126 that needs to be rebuilt. It appears to have shorted out and burnt up a bit inside !!
    I had an ignition shop in Victoria,BC that tried but they could not source all the parts.

Any experts out there know of a reputable rebuild source for parts and rebuilding these pre-war 6 volt generators??
    i will try to attach some photos for your viewing pleasure !

RickClick image for larger version

Name:	B92B10D1-7324-4E2F-B5BA-948D80697A63.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1758279Click image for larger version

Name:	A2810CD9-D75E-4793-B3B0-827361F4EC62.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1758280Click image for larger version

Name:	6085C1D8-03FA-4E05-800E-F4AEB0899C58.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1758281Click image for larger version

Name:	8E421CC3-DB72-4951-ADFD-6A113645EBEB.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1758282

Rick, try this company in Calgary. The owner, Dave Inglis, is a friend and a good guy with vintage parts: http://www.amperagetech.com/

If it fell to me to try to fix something like that, I would be tempted to take measurements to see if the guts from a more commonplace six volt generator could be fit into that casing. Perhaps a Delco, or Autolite, or even a Bosch from an old VW.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It looks like one or maybe both field windings are cooked. They shouldn't be too bad to rewind. Just measure the size and length of the old wire, and be sure to wind each field in the correct direction. I can't see the brush details in your picture, but it seems to be the common old 3 brush, where the field gets it's current from the adjustable brush. With this style generator, if it's run without a battery connected to control the output, the voltage can rise to such a high level that it cooks the field windings.

My Model A's have a similar but smaller 3 brush generator, and without a battery connected, the voltage can rise to 40 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by 16Studie View Post
        I have a 1916 Studebaker SF Four with a WAGNER 6 volt generator model Spec.EM. 126 that needs to be rebuilt. It appears to have shorted out and burnt up a bit inside !!
        I had an ignition shop in Victoria,BC that tried but they could not source all the parts.

Any experts out there know of a reputable rebuild source for parts and rebuilding these pre-war 6 volt generators??
        i will try to attach some photos for your viewing pleasure !

Rick[ATTACH=CONFIG]74116[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74117[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74119[/ATTACH]
        You can send it to Markham Motors, 6451 SE 180th Ave. Morriston, Fl. 32668, USA. We have been in the Studebaker parts and service business since 1939, have the parts, or can make the parts to rebuild your generator. Drop me a note at bomarkham@embarqmail.com and I'll be glad to discuss the details with you.

Bo
        Bo

Comment

Many thanks for the great info guys. I will try amerage tech in Calgary first as they are close and no customs stuff involved.
          Bo...I will keep your Florida shop in mind if I hit any snags in Canada.

Comment

Working...
          X