Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's making shriek-ity and squeak-ity noises and popping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: It's making shriek-ity and squeak-ity noises and popping...

Okay, here's the video first:

Practically new exhaust with no leaks. What the rest of the noise is I have no idea. When I shut the car down five or six years ago it was running quietly and smoothly. The problem was brakes and transmission. Also, notice the gas flow out of the top of the carb at the end of the video. What's with that???
    Kinda makes me think the old lady's mad at me for waking her up again.

Any Ideas anyone?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Sounds like a couple of stuck valves. Pull the valve covers to check. They usually can be freed up with a little lubrication and trying to pull up on the spring retainer.
    Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 07-24-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah, right... the valve retainer.The whaaaat? Sorry, you seem to be assuming I'm a competent mechanic.Click image for larger version

Name:	1f921.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	1721509 Nope, nope nope. However on page 54 of the '56 car manual, and fig 116 shows an exploded view of the valve. Item 2 is a spring retainer. Is this what you are talking about?

I had the valve covers off earlier and put them back on out of cowardice. I was afraid to run the engine with all that exposed. Thank you for the suggestion Jerry, I'll look into it in the next couple of days.
      Ron Smith

Comment

Sounds like a bad case of gas indigestion. Did you clean the tank or check the flow and color and smell of the gas after the 6 year nap?

Bob Miles

Comment

When an engine sits for a long time, it is always good practice to get the valve covers off to lubricate thoroughly all the valve train.
          It is also good practice to get rid of the old oil before attempting to run the engine, replace by fresh one of course, and squirt a little oil into the cylinders to ease the rings.
          Then, by turning the engine by hand (spark plugs off) or with the starter, make sure that the oil goes everywhere.
          Don't forget that the distributor needs a little oil, too.
          Nice day to all.
          sigpic

Comment

Carb rebuilding time.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              Oh yeah, right... the valve retainer.The whaaaat? Sorry, you seem to be assuming I'm a competent mechanic.[ATTACH=CONFIG]74084[/ATTACH] Nope, nope nope. However on page 54 of the '56 car manual, and fig 116 shows an exploded view of the valve. Item 2 is a spring retainer. Is this what you are talking about?

I had the valve covers off earlier and put them back on out of cowardice. I was afraid to run the engine with all that exposed. Thank you for the suggestion Jerry, I'll look into it in the next couple of days.
              Yes, spring retainer would be a better description. That’s what happens when I try to answer a question too late in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                ... When I shut the car down five or six years ago it was running quietly and smoothly. ...
                Letting a car 'sit' for a long period of time is not giving it a rest. It is enticement to deterioration. Rubber parts (float needles, all rubber seals) dry up and become brittle. Water pump seals in particular stick to the shaft and snap when exercised. Sludge forms, surfaces rust. Rats, mice etc. eat at wires, corrosion forms at electrical connection points. So, years later nothing should come as a surprise. I've experienced some of these things in as short as three months.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Before you do anything, fix that fuel leak at the carb. If you don't, there will be a big WHOOMP! and you'll never have to work on it again.

Comment

Stuck valves, pull valve covers and plugs.use remote starter switch to bump over engine. watch rocker arms closely.some valves are hanging open and this noise is rocker slapping valve stem. once found spray valve stem with favorite penetrant then push rocker against valve and tap with brass hammer repeatedly. this usually works. sometimes taking several tries. its usually exhaust valves. keep at it till they all loosen up.when tapping hit rocker directly over valve stem, on square end. luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                      Carb rebuilding time.
                      Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                      Before you do anything, fix that fuel leak at the carb. If you don't, there will be a big WHOOMP! and you'll never have to work on it again.

Yeah, the carb is basically freshly rebuilt by Dave Thibeault. I haven't used it so it has been sitting for about three or four years. Still, it shouldn't need rebuilding I would think. Something just doesn't seem to be working right. Have called Dave and left a message. I'm hoping to get a new needle from him.

Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                      X