Climatizer valve frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Climatizer valve frustration

I'm was trying to rebuild the leaky Climatizer control out of the Hawk like the page over at Bob Johnstone's site. The tin bellows blew out, apparently because it didn't like too much attention after all these years of being ignored. What a weird smell! Now what?
    Last edited by DougHolverson; 06-28-2018, 06:10 PM.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Which control the airbox door or the actual heater hose valve. You can get aftermarket heater hose valves or you can do like I have done and just run the heater hoses and place a ball valve in the engine compartment. The ball valve lasts for deckades.
    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    63 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    45 Agricat
    67 Triumph T100
    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Or you could contact Joe Hudacek in WI. who rebuilds them. They are fresh and look new. He has a stock of cores and NOS so could get you going quickly. He just did one for my '64 Avanti. His contact info is:www.heatervalves.net. His address is 6606 Banks Ave., Superior, WI., 54880. Ph. 715-392-6169.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

OR... Studebaker Vendors sell very long lasting Ball Valves to replace the Cable pull Valves, so you can actually adjust your Temp. from the Driver's seat!

A '57 Silver Hawk should have the 5/8" Hose size Valve not the '59-'66 3/4" Hose nipple type.

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
        Which control the airbox door or the actual heater hose valve./Cut/
        Studebakers do not use Air Flow or Temp. Controls in the Air Ducts, only manual flappers and cables on '59-'64 Larks, Lark Types and '63-'64 GT Hawks.

None at all, on '47-Mid 1957 ALL and '53 to '62 C & K Models like the OP's Hawk.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-29-2018, 09:06 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you're not worried about it being authentic, you could use this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-46104-vuh
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
            If you're not worried about it being authentic, you could use this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-46104-vuh
            That is IF they would tell you if this Valve is for 5/8" Hose or 3/4", I believe it is for the Larger 3/4" but they and the Mfg. will not tell you that OR if it is Pull to Open, or Close!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Those are some good points you brought up on the Summit heater valve. The extended detail states that they come in a variety of configurations. They are marketed by vintage air, so a person would have to contact them for more info.
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Both questions are answered in the ad. It's 5/8" and pull-to-close.
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I found a correct one (ball valve type) for my ‘60 lark a few years ago. I’m not sure not but back then the Studebaker parts places only sold one version and it was backwards (pull to close).

Comment

Right now, I'm teetering to sending the thing to the heatervalve.com guy. Although I'm wondering if I could shove washers in between the bellow and the bellcrank and make this just a straight heater valve instead of a temperature controlled heater valve.
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Working...
                    X