1963 Avanti radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1963 Avanti radiator

I need some advise on radiator options for my 1963 Avanti. I have purchased many parts from Studebaker international and been happy with the quality. I hjave to replace my radiator,it's too far gone for repair. SI offers a two row core that they say has better flow than the original three row core. I've been told from another individual replace it only with a rebuilt three row. I'd like to replace it with a new as opposed to rebuilt but just don't know. Any one have any experiance in this area? Advise would be welcomed. Thank you

I'm still waiting on an Avanti radiator from SI for over a month and 1/2.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'm watching this, mine is on it's last legs, but is holding for now. I wonder if Bob Ziff is selling the same one?
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Generally, a 2 row of 1" tubes in aluminum are about equal to 3 row copper. A 2 row, 1.25" aluminum tube would be a true upgrade.

Comment

What do you think about a two row that is sold bt Studebaker International? They say better flow than a three row. All I know is I'm cofused.

Comment

If you go to a NAPA store, they will have a catalog which lists radiators by width, depth, height and shows a sketch with all the attached brackets, in- and -out connections, core size and everything else you could want to know.. It's been a while, but I'm certain there were many hundreds, maybe a thousand radiators shown, all available from NAPA at a much lower cost than to have a rad custom built, maybe even cheaper than recoring an old one.

It's worth fifteen or twenty minutes of your time to have a looksee, and highly possible they will have a drop-in that fits like the original.

Comment

Two row, three row doesn't tell much. It depends on the tube sizes, number of fins, and size of fins. In fact the most important criteria is probably the total surface area of the fins.

Width of fins x length of fins x number of fins will give you a good comparison of cooling capacity, radiator A compared to radiator B.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Avanti View Post
                What do you think about a two row that is sold bt Studebaker International? They say better flow than a three row. All I know is I'm cofused.
                Tom

If you want to stay stock, then the one from SI, or other vendors, should be fine if you don't want yours re-cored. Be sure your fan and shroud are back in the correct location.

If you want a less expensive solution, the Avanti radiator is a common universal size that's available at most shops and internet sources. Just Google "Avanti aluminum radiator" to get a lot of responses. I've installed two in my Avanti's.

Here's one for starters. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...or-Replacement

Bob

Comment

Bob is spot on.
                  sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I installed a universal Gm radiator in another 63. Just had to weld on a angle bracket top and bottom. fit perfect.
                    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Working...
                    X