No announcement yet.

Diaphram Style Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Diaphram Style Clutch?

Howdy guys,

So it been awhilw since i last posted a question about replacing the clutch on my 61 Lark OHV 6, the clutch in my 65 Ranchero went and thats my daily so i gotta get that done.

Im just about done with the Ranchero, but i upgraded it to a diaphram style pressure plate from a 78 Fairmont, is something similar possible for the Lark? The pressure plate and disk are apparently a butt to find in the 8.5" setup. Would a 9" off a 78 Fairmont work like it did with the Ranchero? Obviously id need the Throwout bearing from the Stude, but the pressure plate and disk is what im worried about.

Thanks!
    Ryan

The disc is no problem and often there is enough room to go up a half-inch. I did it on a Saab, replacing with a larger diameter turbo disc.

It also may be difficult to find a diaphragm pressure plate with the same bolt pattern as the Stude. If need be any machinist can draw the new bolt circle, drill and tap for the required pattern.

The other consideration is clearance inside the bell housing. Some Stude V8 bell housings will hit some diaphragm clutch covers and require grinding for clearance.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

For what it's worth, when I dismantled the engine on my 63S, I found a VW diaphragm clutch setup in it but I don't know from what model it came. I discarded it and reverted to the original setup. No modifications had been made to accomodate these parts. If I had kept them, I would have check that the height of the new pressure plate was really compatible with the position of the clutch release bearing.
      sigpic

Comment

The guy I had reline my disc came up with one from a 4 cylinder Scout, it bolted up fine and the height iis close to the stock set up. It's got about 15,000 miles and I've had no problems.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Try NAPA..... I checked on a V8 setup a few years back and they could locate stuff rebuilt in another depot....?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
            The guy I had reline my disc came up with one from a 4 cylinder Scout, it bolted up fine and the height iis close to the stock set up. It's got about 15,000 miles and I've had no problems.
            Interesting. Im gonna look into that. If i csnt find something that works i found a guy who'd rebuild the pressure plate and disk for $215, i figured that doesnt sound bad

Comment

Otts Friction in Portland Orygon can help with odd clutches, on N.Columbia. more info online.

Comment

Originally posted by kxet View Post
                Otts Friction in Portland Orygon can help with odd clutches, on N.Columbia. more info online.
                Ott’s Friction Supply is now FleetPride. They still do clutch and pressure plate rebuilding. I sold them a Studebaker Throwout Bearing Assembly a few months ago.

Comment

Working...
                X