engine cleaning problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine cleaning problem

I am posting a warning so other members/forum readers don't make a drastic mistake. I just disassembled a 289 that was nearly destroyed by improper cleaning. This was a good running engine that had been rebuilt in the past. The person wanted to stop the oil leaks, clean and paint the engine, then reinstall it. When it came time to clean the oil pan and the valley cover, he got lazy and sandblasted it. He cleaned the parts and put it back together. About 80 miles later the engine had no oil pressure. Residual sand trapped in the valley cover and trapped under the pan baffle circulated in the oil. Every component that oil is supposed to protect is worn and/or ruined. The rods are saveable but will need to be resized. The crank was -.010 from the prior rebuild. The rod journals will clean up at -.030 but the mains probably will not. It will need a new crank. The cam journals are all about .002 under low limit. The cam is ruined. The oil pump is ruined. The pistons and cylinder walls are worn but the block was never bored so it will clean up at a standard oversize. The lifter bores are okay. The rocker arms suffered wear but I don't know if they are useable. The jury is still out as I haven't disassembled them yet. It is a mess.

Don't ever sandblast any part exposed to the engine crankcase. I am guessing that there was a few shot glasses full of sand in the engine. Maybe 4 oz.

I hope This post has saved someone from making the same mistake.

Jim
    james r pepper

In the early 80's I saw 2 rebuilt engines bite the dust because glass beads were left in the engine.
    An Olds V8 had all the hydraulic lifters lock up from the glass beads left inside the engine.
    A Ford V8 had it's rings lock up and loose compression after glass beads were left in the intake manifold.

Comment

Anyone I know Jim?

Comment

Both the oil pump pickup, the valley cover void, and the rocker shaft tubes are notorious for holding debris.
        All should be cleaned thoroughly, but rarely are.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have encountered a Stude. V8 that was ruined almost as bad and had to be unnecessarily Bored because the complete Engine was Pressure washed, Water and or Soap did it in just like your sand condition and it was not even run.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can buy a NOS valley pan cheaper than you can clean one. I have a bead blaster, and that media gets into the areas you can't clean out. You should never attempt to blast anything that is filled with a lubricant or any other fluid for that matter. It's sad the poor gentleman had to learn this the hard way.

Comment

I have in the past put my valley cover in my wood burner. Just blow the ash out with compressed air. Cleans valve covers the same way. They paint up nice.

Comment

Also things like dipstick tubes, and the oil pan breather on an Avanti. Any part with internal baffles.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X