64 to 63 Lark Front Clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 64 to 63 Lark Front Clip

On a Lark can you bolt a '64 front clip on a '63 or are the body lines different at the door interface? I need a platform for my blower motor and the Lark is a candidate. I am partial to the tail end of the '63 but dislike the "Mercedes" grille. I like the '64 grille but am not fond of the tail light change. I am very C/K body savvy but a moron on the Lark body. Help me out here.

JK

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0535.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1756266

The '64 Has a longer front end, you will have to check/compare the Frame Rails to see if they lengthened the Frame or just the Bumper Brackets.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes You can, I once put a 64 Challenger front clip "complete" on a 63 Wagonair. can't say for sure if the two years have front frame horn length differences, if so it is micro. as stated above that the 64s have a longer front end, not really it's just more of an illusion than any thing else.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yes this will work. Bumper brackets are longer. Frame is the same. I used a 62 Lark frame to replace a rusted 66 frame. They were identical. I used 63doors in the 66 too. I just changed the upper window frames.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I would think it would be just a bracket change. Studebaker didn't have the money to change the frame but a bracket change should have been in the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            Studebaker didn't have the money to change the frame.
            Since finding out that Studebaker made special doors to fit the '56 Golden Hawk, and ONLY the '56 Golden Hawk I never assume they did things the sensible way when it came to spending money. That's probably one reason they closed US automobile production in 1963. IMHO.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry sometimes I will agree with you there. I know while working on my hawk restore there's been more than once where I've said. WHAT THE F*** where they thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                Since finding out that Studebaker made special doors to fit the '56 Golden Hawk, and ONLY the '56 Golden Hawk I never assume they did things the sensible way when it came to spending money. That's probably one reason they closed US automobile production in 1963. IMHO.
                I believe that they modified the K body door die and used those modified doors on both the Sky Hawk and Golden Hawk. Remember that they changed the K body doors again for 1957.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cool, game on to look for a "solid" '63 hardtop. Preferably a stick, V-8 or L6 or no motor. I would prefer a driver, not necessarily a cross country driver but a " I trust it as far as I can afford to have it towed home type of driver"' like my '61 Hawk. Near me would be good but not a requirement. My wife will kill me if I by another car but after 32 years you'd think she'd be used to it.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    I agree with Jerry. It always amazed me the variety of body styles and sizes a smaller car company like Studebaker could offer. That had to be very costly, and hurt the bottom line. I'm sure glad they did offer so much during the 50's though.

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                      Cool, game on to look for a "solid" '63 hardtop. Preferably a stick, V-8 or L6 or no motor. I would prefer a driver, not necessarily a cross country driver but a " I trust it as far as I can afford to have it towed home type of driver"'

JK
                      I've thought doing the same thing. I have always loved the look of the 62/63 and the front end of the 64-66. Doug in Westchester California has done that with his 63. His has the 66 grille treatment. I would go along the same lines except remove the "tacked on chrome" that the 63 has & go with the sheer beauty of the 62 treatment. Simpler & more elegant in my opinion.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

For my 2 cents, I always preferred the front end and roof line of the '64, but thought that the '64 rear treatment was a bit weak. If I were building a "one off", I would start with '64 model, and change the rear panel and trunk and tail lights to a '63 style.
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                          On a Lark can you bolt a '64 front clip on a '63 or are the body lines different at the door interface? I need a platform for my blower motor and the Lark is a candidate. I am partial to the tail end of the '63 but dislike the "Mercedes" grille. I like the '64 grille but am not fond of the tail light change. I am very C/K body savvy but a moron on the Lark body. Help me out here.

JK

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69193[/ATTACH]
                          Your engine looks awesome! With the intake that high, you should be able to drive though some mighty deep snow without sucking it into the intake.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yes you can put a '64 nose on a '63. Sedans may be easier than a wagon or conv. I made a '64 wagon out of a '63 due to several reasons. There are a lot of differences including the emergency brake and wiring harnesses. Also the rear doors on a '63 are different as the exterior door handles are lower in the door as well as the upper door frame differences.
                            Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                            X