259 Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 259 Cracked Exhaust Manifold

One of the flange ears on my exhaust manifold (where the exhaust pipe bolts up) is broken off. Is there any problem driving the car with the manifold broken. It obviously sounds like crap but we have a local car show coming up before I am going to get my replacement manifold.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

It should not have any ill effects on the engine, but I would look to see that it is not blowing a stream of hot exhaust toward anything flammable or that could be damaged by the heat. A temporary fix could be as simple as clamping a piece of tin or aluminum around it with a hose clamp. Good Luck!
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

My 50 Commander exhaust manifold cracked and threw flames at the firewall. Since the car had no Climatizer, the flames hit the cardboard disk where the heater motor would go, igniting the stuffing behind the firewall in the passenger compartment. There I was, late at night, in my white disco outfit, by the side of the road, pulling out the stuffing and stomping it out. After all, it was 1974 in San Francisco.

Make sure your car does not catch on fire.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

"There I was, late at night, in my white disco outfit, by the side of the road, pulling out the stuffing and stomping it out. After all, it was 1974 in San Francisco. "

Where was Youtube then?!? I'd love to have seen that a video that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
          "There I was, late at night, in my white disco outfit, by the side of the road, pulling out the stuffing and stomping it out. After all, it was 1974 in San Francisco. "

Where was Youtube then?!? I'd love to have seen that a video that!
          The crowd watching was amused, too. Much more so than I was at the time.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I think we have some light weight aluminum flashing laying around. I might try devising a shroud around it. There is nothing around it to catch fire but it might prevent smutting up the paint on the engine and inner fender.

Roy, I have an image in my head of you channeling your inner John Travolta putting that fire out.
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

exhaust manifold

Originally posted by wdills View Post
              One of the flange ears on my exhaust manifold (where the exhaust pipe bolts up) is broken off. Is there any problem driving the car with the manifold broken. It obviously sounds like crap but we have a local car show coming up before I am going to get my replacement manifold.
              I have manafolds for a 60 Lark

Comment

You might try some exhaust manifold epoxy like Quicksteel or JB Weld. I have repaired a cracked manifold this way and didn't have to replace the manifold at all.

Comment

I applied some Quicksteel patch yesterday and ran the car today. Seems to have helped considerably. With one of the ears broken I am still getting some leaking around manifold to pipe flange but overall the leak is much less than it was. It will get me to the show this weekend. My replacement manifold should be back from jet hot next week.
                  Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X