Window aftermarket seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Window aftermarket seal

Hi, i was wondering if any body knows of an aftermarket weather seal to replace cat whiskers style seals to stop my doors from filling with water when ever i wash my car. Do the later models use a different type of water displacing seal. Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2811.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1753962

The cat whiskers were never intended to stop water. What they do is protect the door cavity from large pieces of dirt/trash, keep the windows from rattling, and, most of all, prevent the windows from contacting the metal contact which is a sure way to get them broken. If your doors are filling up with water, that means your door drains are clogged up. You can clear them with an old dull hacksaw blade or similar item of your choice.

Several of the Studebaker parts vendors can sell you new catwhisker material for you to cut and replace your worn out old ones. Be patient, and I'm sure that someone will post a resource link. Happy to have you here, welcome to our forum.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks John, i did notice that when i had one of the door panels off that there was a hole in the bottom of the door, also explains the bituminous paint lining the inside. Cheers

Comment

Hey Hugh, I just now came back into the house to take a break from chores. I noticed that no one has posted a link yet to a vendor offering what you need. Here's one... http://www.studebakervendors.com/hansen/index.htm

I hope this will be useful for you.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If the "cat whiskers" have been kaput for any length of time and the drain holes have clogged up I suggest you remove the door panel and do a thorough cleanout. The bottom of your door is probably full of dirt, leaves, and all sorts of nasty gunk. If allowed to stay there is a good chance the door bottom will rust.

Comment

I'll bet your Australian vendors can supply cat whiskers also.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
              I'll bet your Australian vendors can supply cat whiskers also.
              And here's a link... http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...ZoUB5KywKjod0-
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Doors have bottoms???? this is one replacement panel Classic Enterprises is missing out on! Doofus

Comment

Try this one:

"Studebaker of Australia" <chris@studeparts.com.au>
                  Chris is a great help and knows his parts.

Comment

While you have the trim panel off and cleaning the doors out when done it would be a good time to spray some rust preventer like what 3-m sells in the bottom of the doors.

Comment

Thank guys, I was thinking of stoping the water from going in the door altogether by retro fitting a seal off another car still utilising the inside whisker. Might have to experiment with something from the wreckers. Yes Chris very helpful.
                      Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by hughbe View Post
                        Thank guys, I was thinking of stoping the water from going in the door altogether by retro fitting a seal off another car still utilising the inside whisker. Might have to experiment with something from the wreckers. Yes Chris very helpful.
                        Thanks again
                        I don't think you will succeed in preventing water from getting into the doors altogether. Even modern cars don't attempt it and have drain holes in the door bottoms. Modern door seals may divert more water than the old whisker seals, but they're really just better at diverting crud -- and wiping the window every time you wind it up and down.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Many to choose from. Take your pick.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Update, if any body else is interested i found an aftermarket "flocked window trim drip seal" sold by the meter for ten bucks per meter from car builder solutions which should work perfectly if i can find a way to fix it to the rusty door flange. The seal has a felt surface on the glass side and a small lip that flaps tightly over outer door, with a smal bead of silicon it should stop unwanted water entering.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3163.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1713770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3127.jpg
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1713771

Comment

Originally posted by hughbe View Post
                              Update, if any body else is interested i found an aftermarket "flocked window trim drip seal" sold by the meter for ten bucks per meter from car builder solutions which should work perfectly if i can find a way to fix it to the rusty door flange. The seal has a felt surface on the glass side and a small lip that flaps tightly over outer door, with a smal bead of silicon it should stop unwanted water entering.
                              Thanks for the update, Hughbe. That product does look like it might be a nice alternative to the OEM cat whiskers. However, I'm confused by your reference to silicon. Did you use the silicon to fasten the drip seal to the door flange? Let us know how this drip seal works out for you.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X