disassembling seized engine, pistons wont move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: disassembling seized engine, pistons wont move

I have been soaking the pistons in ATF and acetone for two months, I decided to remove the crankshaft to see if I could at least get some of the pistons out. So far the answer is no... I tried using a 2.5" diameter piece of wood and a BFH to see if I could get any movement. I am not above moving it to my 12 ton press and seeing what that can do.

The engine is a OHV six cylinder from a 64 Commander. The head does not have any detectable cracks so now I want to see if the bottom end is salvageable. The crankshaft looks better than the one from my Lark, but the wrist bearings on the pistons are seized as well as the pistons themselves.

Any ideas?

Well, you have nothing to lose, as you are obviously not re-using the pistons.
    I would hit the ones close to the top directly with the BFH. The others, I would use a big metal drift or solid steel rod or whatever. That block of wood is soaking up a lot of the impact.

Comment

Set it out in the sun when it hits 103 degrees this summer. Use an air hammer to give a little vibration to it. Then break out the he Sledgeomatic Something's gonna give!
      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
      sigpic
      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

I used Aero-Kroil on an old 194 engine that was seized solid and it worked well. http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html

Craig

Comment

Well a Chapter Member here made a BBQ fire in a V8 Valley and loosened the Pistons enough to pound some out and break the rest!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have had some that no amount of soaking with Kroil, acetone & ATF, etc. would loosen. Usually have to destroy them to get them out. The good news is, the stuck is probably not reusable anyway. Usually when they are stuck that solid, there is gonna be deep pitting in the cylinder wall. Worst case scenario is those cylinders have to be sleeved.

Good luck!

Comment

If the top end is better in your other six engine, with the rod caps on, cut the rods off with a torch and put the crank in the other engine.....

Comment

I uploaded a video to youtube of the disassembly so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8UUQvYYog

Thanks for the ideas, hopefully worst case is sleeving after getting the pistons out.

Comment

Or, use acid to rot them (the aluminum pistons) out.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Since the pistons are already junk, hit them directly on top with a 5 lb sledge hammer. HARD! I just tore a frozen 259 V8 apart and was amazed at how hard I had to hit the pistons. Once they move, even a little bit, you'll have them out quickly. Just don't be shy about hitting them really hard.
                    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop
                    1962 Champ Truck
                    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Watched your vid. You need to support the front of the engine when banging on the pistions. Or put the engine on a solid surface.

Comment

Originally posted by t1003nl View Post
                        Since the pistons are already junk, hit them directly on top with a 5 lb sledge hammer. HARD! I just tore a frozen 259 V8 apart and was amazed at how hard I had to hit the pistons. Once they move, even a little bit, you'll have them out quickly. Just don't be shy about hitting them really hard.
                        That will work. I did the same thing a few months ago on an engine that had been sitting for years. I ended up using a big sledge and a pipe. The pipe was looking rough when I finished A couple of the pistons took a lot of persuasion.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Like post #5 states, I know of someone who built a good Bar BQ briquette fire in the valley and got the motor hot enough to free up the pistons. I'm sure it isn't in the manual.
                          Bill

Comment

I've never done it but I once saw an old timer put dry ice on the piston. Came right out

Comment

Well, good news is 12 tons is sufficient to move the pistons... but there is not enough clearance to remove the pistons from the crankshaft side. Bad news is I found this out after removing one of the pistons. I think at this point I need to look at what it will take to make the other engine block serviceable. not much damage was done, but it is right next to where the crankshaft bearing goes. I will upload a video later.

Comment

Working...
                              X