window regulator: window falls down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: window regulator: window falls down

The frame on the bottom of my windows is loose. What can I do to secure it?
    Because this frame is loose, the regulator arm pops out and the window falls. Both main door glass are broken because of this.
    How do I secure the window to the regulator arm?
    Are the parts for this available, or do I have to order the whole regulator to fix it? I would rather not spend the three hundred dollars for both regulators if it's possible to avoid it with a simple fix of whatever held this frame onto the regulator arm.
    HELP!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I am assuming your talking about the base at the bottom of the glass and not the felt channels. The glass is held in with a friction tape but I know some that have used black silicon.

Comment

From your description it is a little hard to tell exactly what the problem is. Do you mean that the glass and channel it is mounted to are coming loose from the regulator? There should be washers and a clip that hold the glass to the pins on the regulator. Sometimes the clips get weak and pop off or they can break. Are there any parts in the bottom of the doors?
      Also what vehicle are we discussing? Do you have the parts book for it or do we need to scan something?
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

If the glass is coming loose from the bottom channel go to a long established auto glass shop and ask for some Everseal.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes, the channel at the bottom of the window isn't attached and yes the pin or shank from the regulator isn't properly secured. So the pin or shank from the Regulator is secured with, what, a spring clip?
          No parts lurking in the bottom of the door. It's oddly clean in there.

So Everseal will work in getting the channel on the bottom of the window firmly attached? Is this something the glass man would do when replacing the glass? Would he have the clip? Washers are a commonly available thing, I suppose.

Being that the window is flat glass I have already been given a fairly cheap quote. However, I wanted to straighten out the problems with the regulator, etc, before taking it in. No point in replacing the glass when at the first dip in the road the window comes crashing down and breaks again.

Sorry, I should have mentioned the vehicle in question is a '60 Champ.

Last edited by studeclunker; 05-19-2017, 11:23 PM.
          Ron Smith

Comment

Here is the picture from my manual. The parts are marked and I added the part numbers.
            I have been trying to edit in a closer picture, but for some reason it won't load. ??
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 52-fan; 05-20-2017, 08:05 AM.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

The (washer measurements in inches OD 25/32 ID 7/16 and 3/64 thick) & clip Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07454.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1713727

Comment

Funny...that washer and clip was just used to secure my NOS thermostatic spring for my exhaust (riser) valve...

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Here is the picture from my manual. The parts are marked and I added the part numbers.
                  I have been trying to edit in a closer picture, but for some reason it won't load. ??

Displaying the link in another tab produces a slightly larger and clearer picture. However, the three arrows indicating three of the problem parts are out of the picture. So, the regulator stud arm stud is held in the regulator arm stud track by just one washer and a spring clip? Okay... All I have to do is get the track securely affixed to the bottom of the (new replacement) glass. So at this point all I'm missing is some adhesive, a washer, and clip? Then maybe a bit of lithium grease in the track for good measure? Do I have this right?

By the by, thank you all so far for your assistance. I would be lost without the help of this forum.

Ron Smith

Comment

Fumbling with that clip in tight quarters can be avoided by just pushing the clip on.
                    The shaft is taper on the end and when you place the clip on the end of the short shaft and push it on it will click in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X