Electric fuel pump install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Electric fuel pump install questions

So, I got an Airtex fuel pump: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8902/overview/, and I was laying out the fuel filter and fuel pump layout under my 2R17, and I'd like some advice and suggestions from those of you who have installed one in your similar truck.

As I see how things are positioned in this area, fuel tank/brake master cylinder/hill holder/brake pedal/cross member, I see 2 places straightforward to place the fuel pump that should be stable enough to attach the fuel pump.

Either a long bolt and a spacer can secure the pump to the bracket that attaches to the master cylinder and cross member, I think there's even a hole already there that I think the pump can be bolted to, OR, use the bolt that attaches that same arm attached to the brake m/c to the cross member and get a slightly longer bolt instead and attach the pump to that bolt and under the cross member.

The pump and filter are too long and large to nestle closer to the frame as is considered ideal; that I can see.

Comments, places others have placed an electric fuel pump on their 2R16 or -17?

Thank you.

The pump should go as near the tank as possible, and as nearly possible the same level as the bottom of the tank...as the instructions probably state. These little pumps do not "pull" fuel very well. And actually to help it's initial actions, the filter should be mostly filled with fuel before you do the final line connection.
    Also remove the burrs from the inside and outside of the hard line where you cut it before completing the connections.

This location works with the "properties of a liquid finding its own level".

A new section of, or a reformed section of fuel line should not be ruled out. The pump can be placed most anywhere considering the above information. Inside the frame, outside the frame, etc.

Two personal things...keep it away from the exhaust system, and do not let any other items of the electrical system "rub" anywhere on the pump or filter.

Mike

Comment

Use the forum search option and search on 'electric fuel pump' and there will be quite a bit of info that will come up. Also, go to Bob Johnstone's site (http://www.studebaker-info.org/) and perform a similar search, and there will be a lot of good info, including a scan of a recent lengthy article in the Co-Operator on electric fuel pumps.

Just did this a couple of weeks ago, and found lots of great info using these two searches.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

All of the 1950s C-cab trucks had the master cylinder mounted in the same place, so there's nothing unique about the 2R17A. I would take Mike's advice and put it on the outside of the frame so it doesn't interfere with the master cylinder, no-rol, clutch linkage, and tail lamp wiring. Given how high off the ground the 2R17 is, you could even mount it on the bottom of the frame.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Paul. I ended up mounting it where I thought to, under the cross member. It's in line with the tank, it's tucked up and the hose and line don't interfere with the hill holder.
          I was going to ask about priming the pump, so just fill it with gas then? I read where you weren't supposed to run it dry, but nothing I remember about how to get it primed. I'll figure something out, if it's just a matter of dribbling gas into it to fill it.
          The plan is, to run a power wire from the battery to a 2 pole switch on or in the dash, then a wire from there to the hot side of the pump, ground the pump somewhere down there and wait until tomorrow when I can get someone else to stand nearby with a fire extinguisher handy. Or two.
          There is a dual wire lead coming out of the harness that went to the starting solenoid, I plan to attach that to one of the posts on the floor starting switch, the one with the battery lead.
          A minor question. In the dash, the ammeter still has some of the rubber barrier (for lack of a better term) between the two posts. It's the same sort of folded insulating flap that is also between the posts on the floor starting switch. It's not complete though on the ammeter. How important is that? Would installing a piece of inner tube work as well? Just until I get things sorted out at least.

Comment

Oh, I have an inline fuse holder and plan to install that between the switch and the fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
            X