Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOVE it or HATE it? (New Member, First post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great thing about the car hobby is the ability to do it your way and show everyone your interpretation of cool. I don't think you need the disclaimer, it's your car. I don't think anyone here would say they are mainstream car guys or we would all have a 32 or 40 ford or maybe a Tri five Chevy. I'm glad we all don't drive the same exact car. That would be boring. My friends and I always laugh at the cookie cutter crowd and have converted a couple of friends to Studebakers. I'm a big fan of the Dare To Be Different category at a car show and I think you did a great job with the figment of the wheels and tires. They sit right in the fender openings and it gives the car a modern kinda throw back feel. I love your interpretation of cool. No matter how cool we think our cars are just remember, someone will hate it and that's ok.

Comment

Has a look about it that harkens back to the 1920s...cannot imagine how expensive those tires are.

Here is a '64 Hawk with those '64 wheel covers:

Comment

About the only thing that beats the stock wheels are the wire spokes.

Comment

I like them. I also like that they make the car unique and that is what I would go look at if I were at a car show.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't see the car when I look at it. The wheels draw my eye and I can't seem to get away from them.

Comment

Welcome. The wheels are a bit of a shock (never seen anything quite like them before), but I believe they work. Are they 17"?

Of course my first mod was gold colored door pulls from a PT Cruiser convertible:

Comment

To me, the best looking wheels you could put on a GT are wire wheels. Its your car and you need to do what makes you happy BUT I wouldn't put those on MY GT.
                I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Dare to be different..............keep your Studebaker stock.

BTW, my 1929 Chevrolet has disc wheels, and they would look right at home on a railroad freight car.

Comment

I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

I like the solid looking wheels. I think I would go with a small diameter wheel with more tire. As others have said it is your car and you are free to do with it as you like. Glad to have you here with us.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Eye of the beholder. If/when you pull them off, will you post a picture of the wheel without the cover? I'm curious about the total unit and how it's all held together. Bob

Comment

Essex - They're 20x8 with 235/35/20 tires. Those sure are some fancy door pulls!...it's all about the details!

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                            I like the solid looking wheels. I think I would go with a small diameter wheel with more tire. As others have said it is your car and you are free to do with it as you like. Glad to have you here with us.
                            Happy to be here! Where are the Eastern and Western NC Chapters based?

Comment

Keep in mind that the majority of posters here are mostly into stock Studebakers. Anything other than stock is not going to get a lot of praise.

In addition, most of us are old farts and not current with what the latest wheel trends are...and we probably wouldn't care if we knew

Lastly, aftermarket wheels and tires are a very individual thing. The few of us that enjoy (or can at least tolerate ) modified Studebakers have our own opinions on what wheels and tires we would put on the same car.

Bottom line...you're not going to get a real good cross section of the hobby giving you input here on your choice of wheels and tires. Don't get discouraged. Consider the source.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                                I REALLY dig those wheels. I think it makes the car stand out. I like the color as it compliments the car nicely. Your car will leap out at the car shows. Anyone can drive a stock looking 63 GT. Yours looks like it has taken on a flashy portion of your personality. Great choice.
                                Did I already say how much I love them? Oh yeah, I did. I really love them.
                                Thanks sal! I figured if the look resonated anywhere it'd be with you SoCal folks! You can actually get them in Red directly from Detroit Steel...multiple sizes of course (their custom backspacing was the only way I could make it work with no rubbing and the proper stance...maybe you even go with a low-pro white wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X