Air cleaner orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Air cleaner orientation

I was looking up something else, but came across this thread about a 60 Lark VI wagon like mine:

Ok, a LOT cleaner and more together than mine, but, the observation that the air cleaner is supposed to be pointed to the right (heater box) instead of towards the front of the engine makes me ask why is there no airFLOW concerns pointing the air cleaner opening that way?

I get the idea that towards the front there will be a more likely chance of dirt and debris in the opening, hadn't thought about that, but as mine originally had likely migrated pointing back of the engine I moved the opening to the front for cooler air and more air access.

My first thought is if the opening were pointed to the heater box, you're going to be limiting airflow into the air cleaner.

I'd appreciate comments clarifying this.

My thoughts are, you are looking for cooler air in to the carb. Facing forward, you are going to be pulling in heat from the radiator. Facing rear, you will be pulling radiant heat from the engine block. Later vehicles ducted their intakes so the air was coming from in front of the radiator. Cold air and cold fuel will give you a couple more horsepower. That's my theory.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Interesting. I wouldn't consider radiator direction air heated, but I can see that. I was just visualizing the open air space, and the wind from the fan as being the 'cooler' choice. I assumed the orientation forward would allow more volume in, versus pointing it to the heater box, but I don't have the car near me to verify that in fact that is as restricted space for air volume as it is in my mind.

Comment

Working...
      X