Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help Me decode these VIN #'s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Can anyone help Me decode these VIN #'s?

Howdy all! I Last Summer I bought a 1959 2DR studebaker Lark VIII with No Vin plates from a local estate Here in Mount Vernon WA. When I got the car there were no VIN plates. But as the family dug through years of paperwork they found a shoebox full of Studebaker Titles. These Vin plates were in an envelope stating they were from the "Navy 2DR wagon 1959. Thats all the info I have on the car which is in pretty decent shape. Please guys take a look at the plates. Any info will be greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03037.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1737910Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03038.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1737911Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03039.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1737912Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02850.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1737913
    Patrick Sammon

YES! I think you scored! These are totally consistent with a 1959 Studebaker Lark VI Regal 2 Door Wagon.

Those tags are from a top of the line, luxury Interior Lark Regal Wagon with a 6 Cyl. Engine, if the Car conforms, you have the right plates.

I would use the "Fuser" product that body shops use to bond steel panels together to attach the Serial Number Plate to the drivers' forward door post, aligning the screw holes on the edge of the plate approximately with the holes in the door post or use the bare area as a guide to make your car completely legal. Nice Car.

The Body number Tag goes on the right side of the Firewall with 2 small Phillips screws.

If you got a Registration Card or Title they should say Vin. # 59S50939 those would help a lot with the Washington Registration process.

DO NOT let them typo the "S" as a 5 like they have done on 2 of my Studes.

Rich. at Studebakers Northwest dot com
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
      Howdy all! I Last Summer I bought a 1959 2DR studebaker Lark VIII with No Vin plates ]
      The plates that you picture would be for a Lark VI, NOT a "Lark VIII". In other words, you asked about a V8 car and the plates are for an inline six cylinder car.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Guys, My car is a 59 Lark VIII 2 Dr with the delux int. I may just use the Vin plates to get the car back on the road. Perhaps if I change the Motor size badging...it's a thought. Have a fine day all and thanks!
        Patrick Sammon

Comment

Pat, it doesn't mean these aren't the tags from your car... could be that someone has changed the engine from a 6 to and 8 somewhere along the way.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well Thanks for the thoughts Guys. Your input is always appreciated.
            I have noticed that having One Studebaker is never enough.
            ~Thanks again~
            Patrick Sammon in Sedro Woolley, WA.
            Patrick Sammon

Comment

Patrick, so you are right there in Sedro Woolley huh, you need to join our local Whatcom County Chapter and either way you are welcome to come to our annual Hovander Park, Ferndale car show, swap meet big event in Sept. and the International Drive Your Studebaker Day event Sat. Sept. 14, 2013.

If you PM me using our Private Message system on the dark blue line at the top of the page, I can tell you about our upcoming Meetings near you next Month.

Here is one of our local SDC Members Car, Jim is also your neighbor who lives right there in Sedro Woolley!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1678654
              This is a beautiful Two Tone Blue, 1954 Commander V8 4 Door Sedan with Overdrive.

Jim is a friend that I sold a lot of New mechanical parts to, for it's restoration and return to driving condition after being found on the side of the road on Wash. Hwy. 20.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It looks like a 59 Wagon but the grill emblem is from a 60.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                  It looks like a 59 Wagon but the grill emblem is from a 60.
                  That is most likely because someone has put the whole grille in from a '60, it is hard to see the mesh to be sure but NEW replacement '59's have been NLA since about 1963, they were superceded to the 1960 mesh.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Guys,
                    The 59 2DR wagon I have is just as much of a mystery to Me as The car was originally owened first By the NAS Whidbey(Naval Air Station on Whidbey Island WA>) I have some paperwork that states the car was designated as belonging to the motor pool on the base. I recently spoke with the Owners Son and He remembers His Dad scratching His head at how the car seemed cobbled together. So it could very well be a 59 or 60.
                    I have a ton of extra's for the wagon, Hard parts, 20 or so NOS carbs, I did get a couple 4 JET Carter carbs in The package if anyone need them, I think they were from a dual carb set up. If I cant find Homes for the 4BBL's I can certainly use them for an anchor on My 1954 Boeing 14' Utillity Boat(Made from surplus Military Aircraft wing and fuselage Aluminum At the Boeing plant in Everett WA) HA! Have a fine day all!
                    Patrick Sammon

Comment

I'm Pretty sure Jim and His Car live in Clear Lake. Didnt His Father used to own a service station way back when?
                      Patrick Sammon

Comment

Probably not, the local Clear Lake Stude. "Nut" was Don Colyn who has since passed on.
                        Don had many, many Studes. and parts and rotated them often, he used to find lots of Studes. hiding behind barns etc. to drag home in his job as Telephone Co. lineman.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't forget that a secret serial number is stamped on the rear crossmember of the frame. It will clear the case for sure.
                          Best of luck and nice week-end to all.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X