'63 versus '64 sheetmetal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: '63 versus '64 sheetmetal

I have always loved the looks of the '63 rear end. Those wonderful round "rocket" taillights. but never really cared for the nose of the '63's. (sorry...personal taste here)

Conversely, I have always LOVED the front clip of the '64s.

Has anyone ever put a '63 back end on a '64 two door sedan? Would this be a "bolt on thing" or would this require lots of sheet metal wizardry? Like grafting the front edge of a '64 trunk on a '63 deck lid??? I know Brook Stevens put a lot of time coming up with the rear end re-design of the '64s but...As much as I don't really care for the front clip of the '63s, I feel the same way about the BACK end of the '64s.

(as you can tell by the above, I am not a purist when it comes to modifications!)

Anybody ever done this?
    sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
    I have always loved the looks of the '63 rear end. Those wonderful round "rocket" taillights. but never really cared for the nose of the '63's. (sorry...personal taste here)

Conversely, I have always LOVED the front clip of the '64s.

Has anyone ever put a '63 back end on a '64 two door sedan? Would this be a "bolt on thing" or would this require lots of sheet metal wizardry? Like grafting the front edge of a '64 trunk on a '63 deck lid??? I know Brook Stevens put a lot of time coming up with the rear end re-design of the '64s but...As much as I don't really care for the front clip of the '63s, I feel the same way about the BACK end of the '64s.

(as you can tell by the above, I am not a purist when it comes to modifications!)

Anybody ever done this?
    Not sure about the sedans/convertibles; but, I know for a fact that 1964-66 front sheetmetal will bolt up to a Stude wagon.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yeah, Pierce...I have a good friend that put a '64 front clip on a '63 wagon...hence the reason for my question about the rear end. I am really curious to see if anyone has done the swap.
      sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Yes, you can put a 64 front clip on a 63. At one time I had a 64 front clip on my 62 hardtop. If you were inclined you could put a 61 front clip on a 66. The cowl is the same from 61-66.

A rear end swap can be done but it's going to take some fabrication, I have a 64 tail on my 62 hardtop...my 62's tail was rusty and, well, what the heck. I was young

...and the 62's trunk lock didn't work for beans an extream solution to a minor problem.

Jeff T.
        Last edited by Jeff T.; 07-10-2012, 06:19 PM.
        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
        The Replacements.

Comment

Well let's see, the rear fenders are the same but I think the rear panel may be different and the trunk lid is for sure different. May need to replace the rear panel to make a 1962-63 trunk lid fit?
          I too am not a fan of the 1964 rear as it is very flat or blocky and prefer the 1963 rear styling but hate to change it being they are not very common. Would like to see one done this way though.
          Last edited by Milaca; 07-10-2012, 07:06 PM.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

A peek at the body parts book may surprise you. If you wanna play studes, get the books.

The 64 lid is longer and overhangs the rear body but the gasket is designed to seal it up in the same spot as the 63. The only difference is tailight mounting holes and trim holes. The 64 panel had a different body line to match up to the 'lengthened tailight pods............. The 64 tailight pods will go right on a 63 without too much trouble. The 64 also had 1/4 panel 'extensions' to fill the gap of the new for 64 wrap around bumpers..... To get it right, just weld up a 64 panel .
            Last edited by (S); 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Yeah, Pierce...I have a good friend that put a '64 front clip on a '63 wagon...hence the reason for my question about the rear end. I am really curious to see if anyone has done the swap.
              Point well taken: brain fart on my end here................
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I'm parting out a 63 Cruiser.Should be all the parts you would need.Your welcome to it.

Comment

Tonight I was at an aunt & uncles place with my '64 convertible when a female cousin looks over at my car from about 100 feet behind it and asks me if it is a pickup truck! Maybe I should change the rear to a '63.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The other thing is that the '64-'66 trunk lids are pretty rare these days. Easier to put a later clip on a '63 than the reverse, both labor and parts-wise.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I just went through a spell where this system wouldn't let me on for some reason. It would not recognize my username and password. With repeated help from the "system guru" (Thanks Clark!) I was able to log on again.

Anyway...

Dave Bates: Thanks for the parts offer, but I think I have that covered locally here in PA. We shall see!

Milaca: Sounds like your cousin needs better glasses. Hope she isn't driving on the roads! (Shut the front door! a pickup ??!! )

Showbizkid: If I do this, I will keep all the original parts so it could be changed back if desired.

I am gonna start gathering parts and next spring try to see if it will all fit. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks all!

Doug

Comment

Has anyone ever put a '63 back end on a '64 two door sedan?
                        You trying to put Reese in the hospital? He finds out about this, that sedan might end up missing with just a little note where it was sitting, "gone to a better home."

Comment

If you REALLY want it to look better....after you change the rear sheet metal, change the front too. Then it wont be a Rambler/Chevy II Nova!
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                            You trying to put Reese in the hospital? He finds out about this, that sedan might end up missing with just a little note where it was sitting, "gone to a better home."
                            Hey 62champ...long time no see! Yeah, I already talked to Rob about a potential '63 butt on my '64. Purist that he is, I swear I could see his left eye twitching over the phone !!!

Bezhawk...my son feels the same way. He really wanted me to get another '63. I really wanted to get a '60 but I met him halfway and got the '64 when it surfaced. Life is good.

D

Comment

Working...
                            X