No announcement yet.

Hood Dovetail length (Hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hood Dovetail length (Hawk)

Hi folks,

I've experienced some troubles with my hood (63 GT Six). It looks like the dovetail is too short as the hood is getting too far down when closing and hurts the side mouldings. Of course, the dovetail is set at its full length.
    Could anyone measure the length of the right part and tell me what it should be.
    Thanks by advance and have a nice week-end.
    sigpic

What is a dove tail on a GT?. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It should be long enough to put a gash in your forehead!
      There should be rubber bumpers that the corners of the hood hits (mounted on the upper valence).
      GT Hawks are thicker than earlier hawks.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
        What is a dove tail on a GT?. cheers jimmijim
        I used this word as Studebaker used it in the parts catalog. What is the most common name for the male part of the hood lock in the U.S. ? In french, dove tail means "queue d'aronde" or swallow tail. I suppose that's one reason more for a hawk hood to fly open.

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        There should be rubber bumpers that the corners of the hood hits (mounted on the upper valence).
        GT Hawks are thicker than earlier hawks.
        I also thought the problem came from the rubbers. I ordered new ones from SI, but the height is the same. I may use some additional shims there but, in that case, the dovetail would be definitely too short. That's why I'm trying to check this point.
        sigpic

Comment

If I understand correctly what you are calling a dovetail, it can be screwed in or out of it's mounting hole. Loosen the nut and put a screwdriver into the notch at the point of the cone, and unscrew it to make it longer. When you get it to the correct length, tighten the nut.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            If I understand correctly what you are calling a dovetail, it can be screwed in or out of it's mounting hole. Loosen the nut and put a screwdriver into the notch at the point of the cone, and unscrew it to make it longer. When you get it to the correct length, tighten the nut.
            Thanks Roy.
            I've tried this, but I'm already at the end of the thread. Moreover, a 1/2 " pad has been placed under the lock. So, I think that I don't have the right part.
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

might be the wrong one , the ones used on larks are shorter, maybe someone changed it with the wrong one?
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                I second that! Caught my left ear on my Hawk today. The gentleman I bought it from cut his head showing me the engine compartment; my son cut his head when I got it home; I have hit it several times without real injury till today. Any length is too long on these!

Comment

Originally posted by carussell View Post
                  I second that! Caught my left ear on my Hawk today. The gentleman I bought it from cut his head showing me the engine compartment; my son cut his head when I got it home; I have hit it several times without real injury till today.>>>Any length is too long on these!
                  An indication of no RECALL.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                    An indication of no RECALL.
                    I recall every single event quite well...now...uhm...what was the subject matter????

On the serious side - I have discovered that the front fender shims have a lot to do with the fit of the hood front and therefore the "dove-tail" length. Also look at the lower air deflector and intake panels/brackets. If these are bent downward, that would affect the height of the hood latch bracket; check the latch bracket for downward bends as well because that will also affect how far in or out the dovetail must be adjusted. These hoods are very heavy in the front and over time that takes a toll on the resting points.
                    Last edited by carussell; 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Hello Christophe, I just measured the dove tail it is 115 mm under the hood,how ever thats not the precise length of the pin.
                      I strugeled alot with the outlining of the hood.
                      First you must know that the hood must be placed first and then the fenders!!!
                      I made extra bumpstops in the inner fender and used old adjusteble ones .You can find them even new at Fiat or Opel dealers or at a yunkyard,I ll try to post pictures.
                      Dick Waterreus.

Comment

Hi folks,

Thank you very much for the input. I'll check all the points mentioned. I have already noticed that the front end has been disassembled. Oddily, everything seems to be straight except the position of the latch bracket. I haven't hurt my head on the hood dovetail yet, but this is only because I had to remove the engine 40 km after the purchase of the car.
                        Nice day to all.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                          Hi folks,

I've experienced some troubles with my hood (63 GT Six). It looks like the dovetail is too short as the hood is getting too far down when closing and hurts the side mouldings. Of course, the dovetail is set at its full length.
                          Could anyone measure the length of the right part and tell me what it should be.
                          Thanks by advance and have a nice week-end.
                          My apologies for the delay!

The correct "Dovetail" for your '63 GT Hawk should have an overall length (tip-to-tip) of 114.3 mm (4.5 inches). IF ...shorter it likely is for a sedan or a C/K prior to the 1956 model year.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                            My apologies for the delay!

The correct "Dovetail" for your '63 GT Hawk should have an overall length (tip-to-tip) of 114.3 mm (4.5 inches). IF ...shorter it likely is for a sedan or a C/K prior to the 1956 model year.

Good Luck!!!
                            Thank you very much Jim. No problem for the delay. I'll check that this week-end.
                            Have a nice day.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X