Recommended oil filter line replacement - 51 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Recommended oil filter line replacement - 51 Champion

While attempting to replace a weeping freeze plug, I inadvertently broke off the lines to the oil filter at the fittings. I viewed several vendor sites and it seemed that flexible hoses were the only options. The one line is over 2 ft long. Just wanted to get some suggestions as to what others may have done. This line may still be salvageable if the fittings are still available. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1759907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1759908

Here is the freeze plug that I was attempting to remove
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1759909

If it is not too old and work hardened, you can cut it flush and use a flare tool to repair it if it is still long enough or just get a new one at NAPA close to the right length. You may get lucky. Otherwise, you get one longer and bend it to use up slack, or cut it and flair it. It may have already been too short. Secure the new one so it can't vibrate and leak down the road.

Comment

A length of universal 3/16" brake line with fitting should work, it will require some bending with a tool or carefully by hand.

Comment

Why were you messing around with that freeze plug? It doesn't look at all bad. Just kidding. It looks to me like the original line was copper. As Brucestude suggested, steel would be a better choice for strength and vibration resistance. Good luck with the freeze plug, and the oil line.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Napa did my new ones, take old ones in, there is an orifice in there somewhere to keep from putting too much oil into filter, its about .045. If not there you may get lower oil pressure. It is important. Flex hoses work fine.

Comment

Thank you all for the input. I did go to Napa and have some pre-flared steel line. We'll see how well I can bend it. Other fittings should be reusable.

kxet - I think that orifice is on the 90 degree fitting going into the side of my filter housing.

Comment

Working...
            X