Commander 226 vs 246

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Commander 226 vs 246

I thought that I had done enough research in the difference of these two engines before I decided to try to install the bigger one in my ‘48 M16. I have run into small annoyances like, the motor mounts from where the 246ci came from not working and, the engine mounting plate clocked wrong for my starter. I knew that the water pump was different but, I didn’t anticipate an interference issue. The flange which carries the pulley and fan is too close to the radiator to install the fan or even the fan shroud. The water pump pulleys are not interchangeable, the one off of the 226ci is about an inch too short.

To make up some of the difference, I have thought about pressing the waterpump flange further on the shaft ( it can go about 3/8”) but, if I do, the pulley may not line up. Right now I don’t have the correct pulley for the 246ci so I don’t know if the flange is in the proper location.

Another thing I am concerned about is how close should or can a fan be to the radiator.

Does anyone have the correct pulley for the 246ci they could measure the height and diameter?

Has anyone else run into this engine swap problem?

Thanks, Neal
    Last edited by Neal in NM; 07-12-2020, 07:28 AM.

do you have any sort of spacer on the pulley?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
      do you have any sort of spacer on the pulley?

I tried to install the fan without the pulley. There is no spacer.

Comment

I presume that the water pump is different from 2 engines? You state that you don't have the correct engine mounts. Could the engine be spaced back a little, and still line up with tranny, etc?

Comment

Some have the pulleys behind the inertia dampener, and perhaps later versions were in front, like a v8? (just wondering, I don't know)
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'd want at least an inch clearance to a mechanical fan.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I recall it shows in the book that there were different pulleys.

There was also a change in water pumps, and an optional HD Fan. There are several *notes in the book, that would change everything from one set up to the next---so in this case you need to know what the donor engine was from, its serial number, and data on the original engine to figure it out. It sounds like you are trying to put a HD fan onto a NON HD water pump hub...... which will put the fan too far out there.

I'd look up if there was a difference in radiator, water pump/s and pulleys/ fans. To do that you need serial numbers.

Comment

The water pump is the problem. I was able to sneak in the four blade fan but, there was only about a quarter of an inch clearance. If I had known this before I would have found a 226ci water pump and rebuilt it. There is no way to move the engine back. According to the casting numbers, the engine is a 1960.

So, I have thought of three different solutions

1) Locate a 226ci pump and rebuild it

2) Machine a new offset pump pulley that will accept a different fan blade

3) Install an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator

I would like to do the custom pulley (because I can) but I think I am just going to go with the electric fan for now.

Neal

Comment

Installed an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. Located the thermostatic controller in the bottom of the radiator. Seemed to work “ok” while parked. While driving, it gets hot 200* F. and above. First, I changed the thermostat from 180* to 160*, no change. Next I used a coolant additive that is supposed to help reduce temperatures and at first it seemed to help but, under load (climbing a steep hill) it would get hot. Running the fan constantly is the only way to keep the temperature in the “normal” range. I am sure that the outside temperature isn’t helping (+100* days) but, it shouldn’t be getting to 220*F.

I intend to make an adapter to try a mechanical fan to see what that will do. Just ordered some 5.5” diameter solid aluminum bar stock to machine a water pump pulley. I need to find a clutch fan with a large diameter hole to fit over the pulley I intend to make.

Neal

Comment

The thermostat controller should be at the top of the radiator.

Comment

Neil, the 1692060 Water Pump for a 5E6 1960 245 ONLY fits Late 1959 and all 1960 Champs.

If you do not have it, THAT could be the whole issue and would be a whole LOT easier fix than what you are thinking.

I believe it's casting number is the same or close to that Number.

This is what my Son Mike was trying to tell you way back in Post #7.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
                        The thermostat controller should be at the top of the radiator.
                        That is one philosophy. I used the theory that if the coolant is cool enough coming out of the radiator without the fan then it shouldn’t be running. I am up for trying a different location for the switch in the future but, right now I don’t have the time to disassemble the cooling system (again!) and thread a hole in the thermostat housing.

Last edited by Neal in NM; 07-12-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Neil, the 1692060 Water Pump for a 5E6 1960 245 ONLY fits Late 1959 and all 1960 Champs.

If you do not have it, THAT could be the whole issue and would be a whole LOT easier fix than what you are thinking.

I believe it's casting number is the same or close to that Number.

This is what my Son Mike was trying to tell you way back in Post #7.
                          The 1692060 crosses over to a WPU026 (studebakerparts.com) which is what I purchased and is identical to what came with the engine.

studebakerparts.com also lists a “small hub” (WPU006S) but, says nothing about a height difference. If that pump is shorter it might solve one problem but, unfortunately they don’t have any. They did list the application as fitting a 1960 truck.

Neal

Comment

Does anyone know why Studebaker changed waterpump design on these motors?

Comment

The WPU006 is a Studebaker 519442, fits '47-'49 Commander 245 & '49-'59 Trucks. So those are BEFORE the Change at 1960 to 1692060 and per the Stude. book DO NOT directly Fit 1960.
                              I Believe the SOURCE, not a Website.

Both have been superseded to WPU026, so our Wholesaler is saying the ARE interchangeable, it could be about the 3/8 Inch Heater Hose Fitting Hole being changed to 1/2 Inch, to fit the Champ (same as Lark) Type Climatizer.

So it sounds like it will not fix your problem.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X