Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine turns slow at start, will not start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine turns slow at start, will not start.

1957 Golden Hawk 259 with blower. The motor has not been started for a number of years. I pulled the rocker arm cover and spark plugs sprayed light oil in the plug holes and down push rod holes. Turned it over for 10 terns per per period for two days. Turned it until oil came out of heads. Put in plugs and no gas. Added a electric fuel pump. Got gas. The motor turns very slow. Got gas ,got spark, has not started i think because it will not build up suction in manifold. My other golden hawk spins at 400 rpm to start. Do starters get old and slow like me. Checked compression around 90 to 110 wet. Can I put 2 - 12 volt batteries in parallel to spin it?Tried the start amp on charger. Help! And thank you in advance. Thinking of advance could the timing be a problem? Bill-W I just realized I do not know how to prime the carburetor on a supercharged motor. I guess with a spray bottle in the air cleaner?
    Last edited by Bill-W; 10-16-2018, 05:58 PM.

If you pull the coil wire out of the distributor cap and ground it, then spin the starter, that will let you know if advanced timing made for slow cranking.
    Yes, you can put two 12 volt batteries in parallel to crank it.

Starter bushings, especially the one of the drive end, can get worn enough for the armature to drag on the field pole shoes.

Comment

Thank you TWChamp

Comment

If the battery is low from all the cranking, that will also be a problem. I like to use a 6 amp charger and leave it connected for at least 8 hours to be sure the battery is brought up to full charge.

Comment

Depending on how much oil you put into the cylinders, this could cause a problem. You may not even be getting a combustible mixture.
          You have a strange combination of a 259 in a S/C Golden Hawk. What is the compression ratio?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a 259 on 6 volts and it cranks and starts within one revolution. When you are testing feel all the terminals and battery cable and see if any are hot this may indicate a loose or corroded wire or fittings.

Comment

To build up enough suction in the manifold, you can temporarily block the air horn. This has always worked for me. Of course, if the starter is really too slow, this won't be enough.
              sigpic

Comment

Your carb is most likely dried out and will need rebuilding. while carb bonnet is off you can prime it but shouldnt need to with a fresh carb.you probably need to look at starter innards also Ala TWChamp's advice. also those old starters tend to swell the armature when warm causing more drag. Luck Doofus

Comment

Make sure your grounds straps are good and actually grounded.

Comment

Plus the battery cables should look like Gaucho's cigar. (Big and Fat)

Comment

Good point on checking engine ground straps.
                      I've seen some cars with the straps left off, and the plastic covering melted on the throttle cable when that became the ground connection.

Comment

It has been sitting a long time ergo I would suspect corroded connections or cable. Are batt posts and terminals clean? The commutator on starter is probably pretty dirty. Is the armature dragging due to worn bearings? Is batt ground good? Is starter ground good? Does engine have a ground strap? Is it corroded? Test your Batt.

Comment

Groucho? As in Marx, not a Mexican horse rider?

1957 is 12 volts, so not as large as 6 volt cables will work.
                          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Gauchos son buscado en Argentina; no estan en Mexico.

Comment

Working...
                            X