No announcement yet.

Twin-groove 170 flathead crank pulley.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Twin-groove 170 flathead crank pulley.

I'd like to get a two-groove crank pulley for a 170 flathead six. Can someone tell me if the six-cylinder engines were internally or externally balanced? If internally balanced, the pulleys should be able to be swapped around without affecting the engine's balance. I would think that what I'm looking for was probably used on the OHV six, but maybe they're more common than I think. Can someone give me some idea of what year and model engine might have used a two-groove crank pulley and whether it will fit a '51 Champion engine? Thanks.

About the only time Studebaker used more than one Crank Pulley groove was when they were equipped with Power Steering or Air Cond. and instead of a Dual pulley, they used TWO single ones.

The closest I can come to a Power Steering pulley for a Champion Six is the 1955 to 1958 Champion with Power Steering Pulley: 533892 that goes next to the Fan/Generator Crank Pulley 533891.
    Per the 1955 to 1958 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog.

The 1951 Champions did not have power Steering or Air Conditioning, so I can't look up that Year.

All Studebakers have Balanced Crankshafts and the Vibration Dampener is behind your Crank pulley.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-17-2018, 10:10 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, that's just the kind of information I'm looking for. Do you think that '55-'58 power steering pulley could be added on top of my '51's stock fan/generator pulley, or would I need to use both of the '55-'58 pulleys as a pair? And would they bolt to the '51 crank dampener or would I also need a '55-'58 dampener?

I know I may be asking for a lot of conjecture, but that's exactly where I am right now. I have a Morgan high-compression head and matching dual carb intake and I'm hoping to get enough extra power to allow me to run something like a Sanden radial a/c compressor. It's very hot where I live in central California and that would allow me to enjoy the car for more of the year.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as Rich, then I just looked at this picture of my 1950 Champion engine with the damper on the front side of the pulley. It doesn't look too easy to add another pulley to my engine for A/C.
        When did the damper move to behind the pulley?

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1723788

Comment

It can be done. Sometimes, for certain projects, perhaps a little thinking outside the box is required. I think it has been a couple of years now, but one of our Tri-State meets in Maggie Valley, NC one of our members attended with an air-conditioned 2R Truck that was air-conditioned. If memory serves me right, he had innovated a serpentine belt to run all that little flathead engines accessories, to include a rotary compressor and alternator. If anyone else recalls this, chime in, and if you have one...post a pic. I was impressed!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

OH, Oh! Now we are getting into SERIOUS Six Cylinder year model difference questions, these I clearly do NOT know.

It would take someone who has been there Done that, to know the interchangeability of these different year 6 Cyl. Parts, not me, sorry.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X