flathead engine number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: flathead engine number

I am looking at buying a 63 Champ, but it has a flathead six in it. Owner sent me the number 529278 and said it was stamped on top of the engine, I am assuming he means the head. I am in Maryland and the Truck is in Illinois, anyway of identifying the engine from the number he sent?

If '63 is correct, it should be an overhead valve 6.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

yes, that is what I was able to determine from the VIN, 170 OHC 6 with 3 speed with OD, the 3 speed with OD is still in the truck, trying to ID the source of the Stude flathead. From other sources it looks like the number he sent me may be a part number.

Any pointers on where to look for an engine number...

Comment

On a flat-head 6-cylinder engine, the number should be stamped on the left side of the engine, at the front, just below the head. If you see the letter "I". that is actually the number "1". If, instead of a number, there is a clover leaf, then it is a replacement factory-built engine. Flat head engines were last installed in new vehicles in the 1960 model year.

An embossed number on top of the engine is the casting number of the head.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

Six cylinder heads are one of the rare instances where the casting number is also the part number. This head was used from 1950 through 1954. It was also a sub for the head that preceded it. That doesn't positively identify the engine though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6cyl_eng_no.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1721719
          Last edited by Dwain G.; 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM. Reason: added picture
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I would get the seller to photo the Serial Number Plate on the door latch Pillar or read it to you.

The reason we are asking for more info, is that IF this is really a 5E-5 1960 Champ, it would have a 170 Flathead Six. A 6E, 7E or 8E 1961, '62 or '63/'64 could have the OHV Six.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the great info, I will get a photo of the serial number plate. Back story from the seller is he bought the truck from a person in Texas, and the flathead was in it when he bought the truck and thought it was original to the truck. will also ask for him to look for the engine number on the front of the engine.

Comment

Is this truck white?
                There was a Champ PU that color on EBay some years ago (in the Southwest I think?), that had a Commander flathead in it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08970.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1721724Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08971.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1721725The 529278 is the casting number and on the boss at the front left side is the engine number.

Comment

Wish that engine number photo had been sharper, but it appears to start with a letter 'C' which would make it a 1952 Canadian car engine.

I just realized the engine shown is not the engine in question.
                    Last edited by Dwain G.; 08-09-2018, 05:37 PM. Reason: clarification
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

It is a Canadian Champion Engine C41401.
                      Everything in the background of the Pic is upside down, but the good news is the Block with a Head laying almost on it, is right side up!

Yes it is only an example.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-09-2018, 11:56 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

no news from the seller, don't know if it was ever white, this is the truck. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...56#post1086456

Any down side to the flathead?

Comment

Nothing wrong with the "170" or "185" Champion Flathead as long as you don't plan on heavy loads, getting going Fast or a lot of high speed cruising without Overdrive or a speed friendly Car Axle Ratio.

Just don't race any Honda's at a stoplight!
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes Richard this is only an example, they are two separate engines one is upright the other is resting on its head and the camera was upside down so the numbers would be right side up. tricky.

Comment

This truck has been floating around on Illinois Craigslist for a few months. It is a later truck with an earlier flathead transplanted in it. It has the later suspended pedals. I have not seen the serial plate. As others have said, that will tell the story.
                              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                              X