trim, aluminum sail panels on C pillar, 62 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: trim, aluminum sail panels on C pillar, 62 GT Hawk

Am revuilding a 62 GT Hawk. Question is: are the "flats" between the narrow strips supposed to be natural (aluminum) or flat blacK?

I've seen them each way in probably 50% of cases, some are blacked out and others are natural. Which is correct for the '62?

Thanks

I think the 62's where all Aluminum the 63 -64's had the flat black

Comment

I believe he is correct. On my '62 they are aluminum. I thought about painting them some time back but didn't.

Comment

1962 and 1963 G.T. Hawks had all-silver-color C pillar trim pieces. 1964 Hawks have the flats between the ribs painted black.
        -Dwight (currently have 2 '64 Hawks, have owned three 63's and one '62)

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          I believe he is correct. On my '62 they are aluminum. I thought about painting them some time back but didn't.
          Only 64's are black including the rocker panel trim. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I guess I must have '64 rocker trim.

Comment

the 62 -64 trim is the same some were just painted black. You can make any part work by either removing or painting black for what ever year you are trying to match.

Comment

I liked the look of black in the slots for my 1962 GT and it didn't have them, so I bought a ⅜" wide roll of #6080 black vinyl tape from Letters Unlimited, Inc., 1010 Morse Ave., Unit E, Schaumburg, IL 60193, sales@vinylstriping.com, (800) 422-4231, and applied it to the channels. Simple solution for $24.00. The tape is self-adhering and has been on the car for 2-½ years with no issues. And I've still got plenty of tape left. I didn't like the idea of painting them -- too messy and difficult to try to mask off the sides of the slots. Painting them black and not just the bottoms gives a different effect.

Credit for the idea goes to Barry and our Canadian friends at the now defunct www.studerbakergtregistry.com website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1721460

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1307.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1721461
                Bill L.
                1962 GT Hawk