Gas door springs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Gas door springs.....

I can't seem to find any info/pictures of how the gas door springs mount on GT Hawk....any help out there.....?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Hey there Lou. I am getting my 60 Hawk back together, and I ran into the same problem. I wasn't brave enough to ask such a dumb question, LOL, so mine are sitting on the bench, waiting for me to figure it out. I hope somebody answers YOUR dumb question, so that we can get them installed.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
      Hey there Lou. I am getting my 60 Hawk back together, and I ran into the same problem. I wasn't brave enough to ask such a dumb question, LOL, so mine are sitting on the bench, waiting for me to figure it out. I hope somebody answers YOUR dumb question, so that we can get them installed.
      Do like I did on Frosty.
      Put them on. If they don't work, take them off, turn them around and put them on again. If they still don't work, take them off again, swap sides, and put them back on. After all that you only have one more option. Maybe that one will work. That's only 4 different options.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

So,.....Glad I'm not the only technically challenged Studebaker lover! (I love Studebakers....but don't enjoy mechanical type work....and, yes....I'll admit to being a little "weird".
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.....but I'm "technically challenged": On my first job (I was 15) they sent me around the different department asking each manager for a "left handed monkey wrench"....I fell for it!
          Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
          Do like I did on Frosty.
          Put them on. If they don't work, take them off, turn them around and put them on again. If they still don't work, take them off again, swap sides, and put them back on. After all that you only have one more option. Maybe that one will work. That's only 4 different options.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

After I posted my reply, I went to the shop, and just like magic, I put them on, and they worked. The long side goes up to the door, short side to the fender. Engage the long side first, then fold the spring inward, and slip the bottom into the fender. Also have a couple of photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_192425.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1721431Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_192436.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1721432 The pictures are laying on their side ( as usual) . I figured out the springs, but I can't make my pictures load properly.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

TY, TY, TY!.....so much knowledge/sharing makes this group great....you guys have saved my axx many times!
              After I posted my reply, I went to the shop, and just like magic, I put them on, and they worked. The long side goes up to the door, short side to the fender. Engage the long side first, then fold the spring inward, and slip the bottom into the fender. Also have a couple of photos.[ATTACH=CONFIG]73916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73917[/ATTACH] The pictures are laying on their side ( as usual) . I figured out the springs, but I can't make my pictures load properly.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

After I posted my reply, I went to the shop, and just like magic, I put them on, and they worked. The long side goes up to the door, short side to the fender. Engage the long side first, then fold the spring inward, and slip the bottom into the fender. Also have a couple of photos.[ATTACH=CONFIG]73916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73917[/ATTACH] The pictures are laying on their side ( as usual) . I figured out the springs, but I can't make my pictures load properly.
                There's an easy fix for the pictures showing sideways. Rent a crane, lift the car from the front into a vertical position. Then, when it stops spinning on the cable, take your pictures in the normal camera position. When they load onto the computer, they'll appear right side up. (BTW, the pix look fine the way they are)
                sals54

Comment

I agree....very helpful....Thank You!
                  Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  There's an easy fix for the pictures showing sideways. Rent a crane, lift the car from the front into a vertical position. Then, when it stops spinning on the cable, take your pictures in the normal camera position. When they load onto the computer, they'll appear right side up. (BTW, the pix look fine the way they are)
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

It doesn't work Sal. This site and only this site always flips pictures I take with my phone, even when they show on my computer correctly. If I then flip the pic on my computer asuming this site will then flip it again and it will be correct, it doesn't, it just keeps it flipped. It doesn't seem to be a problem with pictures I've taken with a camera.

Comment

4 days to late, but I was lucky enough to have a friends rear fender sitting complete to look at. But then one hole for one spring was rustet away on my own...

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                        4 days to late, but I was lucky enough to have a friends rear fender sitting complete to look at. But then one hole for one spring was rustet away on my own...
                        Well...what are you waiting for???...take your handy wire welder & weld on a "NEW HOLE!"
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                          It doesn't work Sal. This site and only this site always flips pictures I take with my phone, even when they show on my computer correctly. If I then flip the pic on my computer asuming this site will then flip it again and it will be correct, it doesn't, it just keeps it flipped. It doesn't seem to be a problem with pictures I've taken with a camera.
                          Actually,. I've had similar issues with photo posting here as well. I don't remember how it was resolved.
                          sals54

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180710_172346.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1721435My pictures have all been from my phone. I may try some from our camera, and see if that works. I tried to rotate the picture before downloading as well, thinking it would then rotate itself to the correct position, but no luck. I have many good shots of my frame off build, ( nearing completion), but don't post many, for this reason.

Comment

I've never had the rotation problem.....
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                              X