rear bumper for 53 K body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: rear bumper for 53 K body

There is a rear bumper on e-bay for a 53 Stude. says it fits all Stude. cars. I can't get in touch with the seller [s2desteve]. Can anyone tell by looking at the photos if it is the correct one for a 53 K body [mine was discarded by my brother by accident] Thanks all Darryl
    Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

I have sent you a private message.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Yes, 53, 54, 55, coupe, sedan, hardtop, wagon.

Despite what "I" was told (by many..!), some of the C-K parts DO fit sedans and wagons.
      I have C-K bumpers and a C-K, Commander dash board mounted to my 54 wagon..! All fit properly, without modification.

BUT...the 55 "front" bumper, is an ONLY 55 front bumper.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post

Despite what "I" was told (by many..!), some of the C-K parts DO fit sedans and wagons.
        I have C-K bumpers and a C-K, Commander dash board mounted to my 54 wagon..! All fit properly, without modification.

Mike
        A 1955 rear bumper is different than a 1953-1954 rear bumper.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike
        A 1955 rear bumper is different than a 1953-1954 rear bumper.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary -

Where?

I have both, on said cars. One ON a 54, one ON a 55.
          If you think it's wider, not so.

Mike

P.s. - Yep - same same. Took a couple of quick measurements, per a tape measure, no difference. Bracket bolts, same, lic. plate protection, same, under the tail lights, same..!
          Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 06-21-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Mike, it probably has the same dimensions, but the '55 to '64 rear bumper has the license plate area as part of the bumper, where the '53 and '54 use a separate piece to surround the license plate.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Gary -

Where?

I have both, on said cars. One ON a 54, one ON a 55.
              If you think it's wider, not so.

Mike

P.s. - Yep - same same. Took a couple of quick measurements, per a tape measure, no difference. Bracket bolts, same, lic. plate protection, same, under the tail lights, same..!
              They are the same dimensions as far as width and bolt locations, but they have a different (cross-section) shape. The center section is different and the curved ends under the taillights are different.

EDIT: If your '54 and '55 are the same in all of the places that you mention, one must have an incorrect rear bumper.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                They are the same dimensions as far as width and bolt locations, but they have a different (cross-section) shape. The center section is different and the curved ends under the taillights are different.

EDIT: If your '54 and '55 are the same in all of the places that you mention, one must have an incorrect rear bumper.
                Mike is talking about a station wagon while everyone else is talking about coupes and sedans. Get it together people. <G>
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Just sent you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    Mike is talking about a station wagon while everyone else is talking about coupes and sedans. Get it together people. <G>
                    Thank you. That minor exception to the rule did not come across to me. Of course, the station wagon similarity is correct.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I got a bumper for my 53K but I am missing all the hardware. I'm thinking the bolts that attach the front and rear bumpers would be common hardware store bolts but the special chrome bumper bolts themselves brings another question. I will not be using the bumper guards or tag surround so will the rectangular chrome bolts cover the round holes in the bumpers? Thanks, Dclewallen
                      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Why don't you get some 7/16" stainless steel carriage bolts and grind a little off 2 sides . Then polish them.

Comment

Or, buy the correct oval shaped bumper bolts from Studebaker International. 524872 Bumper Bolt, Page 122 of their current catalog. (SI calls them Rectangular Head....I stock and sell these and they are very correct.)

Comment

I recommend the oval bolts from SI as well. They fit nice and look original. They have a stainless cap over the head of the bolt, so will be easier to keep shined up as well.
                            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Mike
                              You are not correct on your bumper info. I think 55 thru 64 C/K and 55 sedan share the same F/R bumper stamping. 56 Sedan share the front bumper stamping only. cheers jimmijim
                              Last edited by jimmijim8; 07-18-2018, 04:59 AM.
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X