Engine temperatures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine temperatures.

I have a infrared heat detector (or whatever it is called) and last Sunday I was working on my '57 Scotsman with the 185 CID flat 6 and the air temp was 88 degrees and I had the car running for about 15 - 20 minutes. Driving it around the farm. I parked it and did some temperature checks. The left side of the engine, in checking various areas had an average temp of 154 degrees. The right side had an average temp of 250 degrees. The radiator had an average temp of about 140 degrees. Running almost pure water and no thermostat and a new radiator cap. Why such an extreme difference?

Later. Pepse.
    Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

That is where the thermostat comes in.
    I creates a little back pressure and improves the water flow all through the engine.

Comment

What side is the exhaust manifold on? The right.

Comment

Install a proper thermostat.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well this all makes sense. It is sorta normal under the circumstances. I have a new thermostat for it but I have been debating weather to try a complete cooling system flush or just the block. The car is 61 years old, so the rad. might be too. It sat for about 25years but it is running good. So at least I know things are okay and theoretically when I install the thermostat the cooling system should balance out. I bought a 160 degree thermostat for it.

bensherb, exhaust on the right side where it is hotter, this makes sense.

Thanks, later, Pepse.
          Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Never run without a thermostat or the outer part. If the thermostat gives out on you replace it or as a minimum pop out the center and refit the ring until you can get a thermostat. Without the restriction the engine will overheat.
            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            63 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            45 Agricat
            67 Triumph T100
            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

If the block hasn't had the crud cleaned out in recent history, the radiator hasn't been cleaned and tested and the engine is running without a thermostat is a recipe for overheating. The rust and trash that builds up in the coolant passages in the block will migrate to the radiator partially plugging it and without a thermostat, the coolant is circulating through the system so fast, it won't transfer heat properly. Also when you replace the thermostat, get a new thermostat spacer for the thermostat housing as they are usually rusted too. There is also the possibility that there is an issue with ignition timing such as an incorrect base timing or problems with the advance mechanisms such as sticking or worn parts and a defective vacuum advance unit will add to the overheating issues. Bud

Comment

Bud,
                I bought the thermostat "Kit": Thermostat, spacer, and both gaskets. But, like I said I want to do a flush of either just the block or the whole system. I am leery about the radiator due to its age. Although it seems solid. But if I did a complete cooling system flush I am worried about damaging the radiator with whatever chemicals are in the "Flush Kit"

So, in your Opinion and others reading this should I back flush the block or get a cooling system flush kit and do the whole thing?

Later. Pepse.

Comment

I don't like to use anything caustic in the cooling system while the engine is in the car as the caustic if not used properly can do more damage than good and it will not break through the crud that builds up toward the rear of the block. The only way I've found to clean out the block while the engine is in the car is to remove the core plugs and dig the trash out which is not a fun job. If the radiator is even remotely suspect, take it out and let a competent radiator shop clean and repair it or do a re core if necessary. Like I said in an earlier post, the trash that builds up in the coolant jacket will migrate into the radiator either partially plugging it or in really bad cases, plugging it completely. Bud

Comment

I don't believe that the thermostat plays any part in over heating, once it is open it is the same as no thermostat. Crud in the block and debris in the radiator are the major factors in over heating. I had a thermostat stick closed and it boiled most of the crud from the block up through the bottom rad hose and in to the radiator----major over heating. The thermostat was tested in boiling water and it didn't open, however with a slight touch on the valve with a screwdriver and it popped open. What Bud says the only way to effectively remove the crud in the block is to remove the plugs and use a coat hanger and dislodge the crud and flush with garden hose, very messy do it on the grass.
                    It is most important that all the water passages are clear. I am not a proponent of back flushing I don't think it does anything. Physically removing the debris in the block is the only way, radiators require specialized knowledge to clean and repair. I have a 259 that was full of crud, it took several days working at it to get it clean and now it runs at a constant 160 with a 160 thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                      I don't believe that the thermostat plays any part in over heating, once it is open it is the same as no thermostat.
                      Not true. Even a cursory glance at a standard thermostat will tell you any thermostat will reduce flow by aproximately 30% over no thermostat. Not to mention the interference of the valve itself. "High flow" thermostats are also available, which will flow more coolant than a standard unit when fully open, intimating the valve itself also impeeds coolant flow when fully open.

Comment

I don't have time to go into details but increasing the flow through the cooling system does not make the engine overheat. If you increase the flow the difference between inlet and outlet temperature will decrease which might lead some to believe it isn't cooling as well. However the heat rejection, the cooling, is a product of the change in temperature and the amount of flow. I will try to explain in more detail later when I have more time. The restriction of the thermostat may or may not have a significant impact on the flow. It depends on the pump curve, pressure vs flow at any RPM.
                        David L

Comment

In regards to doing a cooling system flush I remember in high school we had a system that had water and air pressure to clean out the block. That is what I have been thinking in regards to doing just the block. If I can find a fitting like what we used. Probably still available but like a lot of things since I started this project it is a case of remembering things from long ago and applying them.

I want to get the radiator checked out but I will need to get a backup in case this one ends up bad and unfixable.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepse View Post
                            In regards to doing a cooling system flush I remember in high school we had a system that had water and air pressure to clean out the block. That is what I have been thinking in regards to doing just the block. If I can find a fitting like what we used. Probably still available but like a lot of things since I started this project it is a case of remembering things from long ago and applying them.

I want to get the radiator checked out but I will need to get a backup in case this one ends up bad and unfixable.

Later. Pepse.
                            Most Studebaker V8s now need more than a flush, of any kind. You need to remove the core plugs and get the trash out.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Okay, I will go with that but that means pull the motor and take everything off the block i.e. head, manifolds, flywheel and such? It is a 185 6cyl.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Working...
                              X