Car cover info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Car cover info wanted

OK, I've tried the "search and advanced search" features with absolutely no luck, so I gotta' ask....does anyone have a recommendation for a good car cover that will be on a car under a carport, but still exposed to the outside weather ? I would love to have one that protects from particles and hopefully would repel rain too. We have a 55 coupe, and would like to find a specific cover for that car. Thanks folks !

I bought some of those $55 covers on ebay from a Texas company. Outside they might last 1 to 2 years, and under a carport you might get 4 years. They supposedly have sealed seams, but leaked rain and left permanent stains in my 1999 Olds paint. They have a soft liner. so if you use one and put a large tarp over it, you might be OK for quite a while.
    Plastic against paint is a definite NO.

Comment

A car cover then a plastic tarp gives decent protection. when storms/hail threaten i use padding between the tarp and cover. the "best car" is on the enclosed car port but 2 others are multiple tarped/padded/ covered and reside out in the elements.Yhe modern car, oh well. Luck doofus

Comment

I would follow the advice of the last couple posters. I have stored cars outside by using a standard car cover, then a padded moving blanket and then a good waterproof tarp, lashed down. Still a good idea to remove everything occasionally and let any moisture dry, especially after any humid conditions. Condensation will form under the tarp.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I get mine at Costco. if they don't have any, then Pep Boys.

Using car covers in the rain is dicey business. The theory is that the cover material repels water, but lets moisture vapor pass through and out. The reality is that the water pools in the bottom of the cover where the cover wraps under the bumpers. Then it evaporates and turns the whole car into a wet/damp/rusty terrarium. Car covers are better used when there is no rain, if they are used outdoors.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks guys, all those answers are what we did years ago, I was just hoping they had improved a bunch.... This is my 1st place with no garage since 81, and I have got spoiled. Guess hoping for a do-all, fail proof cover is sorta like wishing the sound didn't get louder during commercials...it just ain't gona' happen, ha !

Comment

If you can get by with a metal shelter, such as Menards sells for about $1000, then that would be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                Thanks guys, all those answers are what we did years ago, I was just hoping they had improved a bunch.... This is my 1st place with no garage since 81, and I have got spoiled. Guess hoping for a do-all, fail proof cover is sorta like wishing the sound didn't get louder during commercials...it just ain't gona' happen, ha !
                Can you put sides on your carport?

My experience with covers is that none are very good. Either they let rain through and the car stays wet for days, or if they're waterproof, they turn into humidity chambers.

Comment

TWChamp, no sir, no place to put one. We have already been turned down by the permit folks for a garage. The only place we could build one is where our pool is, and that was one of the main attractions for us to get this place.

jnormanh, I can, and we are going to close it in, at least partially, but Karen's Miata and even my 63 Austin Mini are a tight fit. That 204 inch long 55 Studebaker coupe just will not fit in. We are considering an awning on the front and just leaving the front open, as it seems to be our only choice right now. I had a real expensive custom fit "outdoor" cover for our Avanti we had back on the mainland, and experienced exactly what you describe...and it was under an open carport for a while until the garage was finished over there.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                    TWChamp, no sir, no place to put one. We have already been turned down by the permit folks for a garage. The only place we could build one is where our pool is, and that was one of the main attractions for us to get this place.

jnormanh, I can, and we are going to close it in, at least partially, but Karen's Miata and even my 63 Austin Mini are a tight fit. That 204 inch long 55 Studebaker coupe just will not fit in. We are considering an awning on the front and just leaving the front open, as it seems to be our only choice right now. I had a real expensive custom fit "outdoor" cover for our Avanti we had back on the mainland, and experienced exactly what you describe...and it was under an open carport for a while until the garage was finished over there.
                    I feel your pain. We have a two-car garage, but it is packed full of "stuff", lawn equipment, tools, storage shelves, work benches.

There's just enough room to keep my '59 Sprite in there, covered with an old bed sheet. My Caddy and wife's Volvo sit outdoors. I've tried covers and they just make everything worse. Other than needing frequent washing, they do better than they would with covers. At least they stay dry except for when it's raining. I buff and wax them once a year, and they both still look good, the Caddy after 22 years and the Volvo after 14. Under covers they'd be a mildewed mess.

Comment

Best water and dust proof cover I have found is California Car Cover's 'Super Weave" The rest are basically water and dirt resistant.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I don’t know where the cover came from as it was with the car when I bought it but my 67 Cutlass sat in the driveway year round in Chicago weather for over a year with no problems with the paint. It was a driver but covered when not in use.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                          Best water and dust proof cover I have found is California Car Cover's 'Super Weave" The rest are basically water and dirt resistant.
                          I only use car covers in a pinch, but have also used one from California Car Covers, for many years. It has never caused a problem with paint, but I usually remove it as soon as practical, to allow the car to dry out thoroughly.

Comment

I actually bought mine from carcovers.com and I've had really good luck with it. Granted, I live in Northern California where we do have rain, but not much in the way of humidity when it's not raining. That said, I only keep a cover on it during the wet weather. The rest of the time, I keep a sun shade in the front window to protect the top of the dash.
                            Dean Seavers
                            Sacramento, CA

Comment

Thanks again to you all ! Love reading the responses, ..... BUT..... is there any company ( or owners of 55 coupes ) that have a form-fitting one especially for the coupes ? I'm going to be calling some of the ones mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X